Overall Niche Grade
- Academicsgrade B+
- Diversitygrade A
- Teachersgrade B
- College Prepgrade B+
- Clubs & Activitiesgrade C+
- Health & Safetygrade B
- Administrationgrade B minus
- Sportsgrade A
- Foodgrade C minus
- Resources & Facilitiesgrade C
Hood River Valley High School is an above average, public school located in Hood River, OR. It has 1,339 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 20 to 1. According to state test scores, 36% of students are at least proficient in math and 72% in reading.
Hood River Valley High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- grade A minus183 Students
- grade A minus158 Students
- grade B135 Students
- grade B minus95 Students
- grade A67 Students
- grade A minus61 Students
- grade C59 Students
- grade C+54 Students
- grade B47 Students
- grade B+47 Students
Note: School map boundaries may have changed for the current school year so please contact your school district to verify school assignment for your child.
Living in the Area
Overall Niche Grade
- Cost of Livinggrade unavailable
- Good for Familiesgrade unavailable
- Housinggrade unavailable
Median Household Income
Median Home Value
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school. 12 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there. 12 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 42 responses
- Graduation, homecoming, prom, homecoming week.31%
- Homecoming week19%
- Air guitat14%
- Air Guitar10%
- The Bonfire7%
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive. 20 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy. 20 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic. 20 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons. 25 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students. 25 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom. 25 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
$13,602 / year
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in. 28 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need. 28 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations. 28 responses
Schools like Hood River Valley High School
Hood River Valley High School Reviews
Rating 3.65 out of 5 188 reviews
Selecting a category below will take you to another page
I’ve gone to HRVHS since I was a freshman, and overall I think it’s a pretty good school. Most everything can be hit or miss, except our football team. That’s usually a miss. Sorry. The new-ish science wing is super cool, and I think STEM classes and STEM activities are really well-funded and participated-in for a public school. FA, of course, doesn’t get that same love, but I wouldn’t say they’re neglected. In terms pf other academics, there are quite a few APs offered, but no IB program. Not a lot of students care, though, so that’s fine. In terms of diversity, it’s sort of there for the school as a whole (~half european white, ~half latine, ~the rest east asian), but there are very few black, south asian, or native students, and that school wide diversity is nonexistent in AP and Honors classes. Shocker. Overall, I’d say it’s a good school, though. A lot of what I mentioned was room for improvement, but that’s because it’s what’s notable. Good job HRVHS. :)
I really like the community aspect of HRV. It's a great atmosphere to go through high school in. That being said, there are some downsides. The school does not have very many resources for field trips or nice equipment, and are constantly laying off good teachers. There aren't a ton of special elective opportunities. The teachers are often really kind, but not necessarily the best at explaining the lessons. I have also been on the receiving end of several pretty serious screw-ups by the administration and school staff.
Hood River Valley High School (HRVHS) provides a vast array of activities and as far their English and science departments, they are wonderful. They biggest letdowns from the school comes from their favoritism nature. The school provides much more in support towards the sports and art department, but give almost no recognition to the performing arts such as music and theatre, even though they are some of the most incredible parts of the school. Aside from that, HRVHS also struggles to tackle the ideas and issues behind prominent social media, mainly cyber bullying. The school is very outspoken in their opposition to cyber bullying. However, when it comes to showing support to victims and punishing the bullies, my school falls short. Overall, HRVHS is above average as a high school but still has very far to go in supporting their programs and their students.