Overall Niche Grade
- Academicsgrade A+
- Diversitygrade C
- Teachersgrade A
- College Prepgrade A
- Clubs & Activitiesgrade A
- Health & Safetygrade A+
- Administrationgrade A minus
- Sportsgrade A+
- Foodgrade A
- Resources & Facilitiesgrade A
Highlands High School is a top rated, public school located in Fort Thomas, KY. It has 1,029 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 18 to 1. According to state test scores, 71% of students are at least proficient in math and 76% in reading.
Highlands High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Percent Proficient - Reading
Percent Proficient - Math
Average Graduation Rate
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- grade A minus285 Students
- grade B+270 Students
- grade B minus263 Students
- grade A minus216 Students
- grade B minus123 Students
- grade B+64 Students
- grade B minus62 Students
- grade A minus48 Students
- grade C+47 Students
- grade A+42 Students
Note: School map boundaries may have changed for the current school year so please contact your school district to verify school assignment for your child.
Living in the Area
Overall Niche Grade
- Cost of Livinggrade B+
- Good for Familiesgrade A+
- Housinggrade A
Median Household Income
Median Home Value
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school. 21 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there. 21 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 55 responses
- After prom party24%
- Football games24%
- End of the year Highlander News Show15%
- Senior Week15%
- Dixie Chili after football games9%
- Spirit Week4%
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive. 24 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy. 24 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic. 24 responses
Average Teacher Salary
Teachers in First/Second Year
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons. 30 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students. 30 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom. 30 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
$13,947 / year
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in. 30 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need. 30 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations. 30 responses
Schools like Highlands High School
- grade A+Madeira High School
- Madeira City School District, OH
- Rating 3.93 out of 5 135 reviews
- grade A+Mariemont High School
- Mariemont City Schools, OH
- Rating 4.01 out of 5 74 reviews
- grade A+Turpin High School
- Forest Hills Local School District, OH
- Rating 4.05 out of 5 284 reviews
- grade ALoveland High School
- Loveland City School District, OH
- Rating 3.97 out of 5 231 reviews
Highlands High School Reviews
Rating 4.26 out of 5 204 reviews
Selecting a category below will take you to another page
My experience at Highlands High School was overall very good. Considering I am a student involved in everything with many interests, the range of resources, courses, and extracurricular activities was outstanding. The teachers genuinely care about their students, love their jobs, and are great educators. The safety precautions and measures taken, this past year especially, has made me feel the safest I've ever felt. The additional locked doors to lobbies, student ID badges granting access to the school, closed campus lunch, and safety officers has helped keep our learning environment safe and secure in just this past year. Our counselors work year round to make sure students are prepared for their plans after high school and provide countless resources and copious amounts of time to us. Since getting off the KY government food plan our cafeteria food has improved immensely and given more freedom with better food options. In conclusion, I am proud to call myself a Highlands bluebird.
Highlands is not only an institution making sure students are prepared and well rounded, but they are a community. Whether it be the kids involvement in programs to help newcomers, the teachers working tirelessly, the administration keeping everyone informed and working to keep our school at the great standard we know and love, or the parents giving back every single day. This school cannot be matched!
I'm a sophomore at Highlands. Everyone that knows Highlands knows it very much excels in many aspects past most schools in Kentucky. Being a sophomore I can say this year has caused me the most stress and anxiety in my life due to the work. I take 1 ap class and 2 adv classes which is pretty normal and shouldn't be too hard, but the amount of work overload I've experienced this year especially during a pandemic where everything is so much more difficult right now has been insane. The pressure is too much and the teachers place all the students on pedestals. we're expected to perform our best at all times and are given lectures if were aren't fully attentive all class. It can be very anxiety-inducing and frustrating but I appreciate the teachers so much who make you feel safe and don't pressure you all the time. Yes, education is so important but sometimes everything is just too much at this school. They care more about being 1 in the state than student's mental health.