Overall Niche Grade
- Academicsgrade A
- Diversitygrade A+
- Teachersgrade B+
- College Prepgrade A+
- Clubs & Activitiesgrade B minus
- Health & Safetygrade A minus
- Administrationgrade B minus
- Sportsgrade B minus
- Foodgrade C
- Resources & Facilitiesgrade C+
Highland Park High School is a highly rated, public school located in Highland Park, NJ. It has 472 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 11 to 1. According to state test scores, 32% of students are at least proficient in math and 57% in reading.
Highland Park High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Percent Proficient - Reading
Percent Proficient - Math
Average Graduation Rate
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- grade A224 Students
- grade A+55 Students
- grade A+51 Students
- grade A+46 Students
- grade B40 Students
- grade A+37 Students
- grade C+37 Students
- grade A+36 Students
- grade A+33 Students
- grade A minus33 Students
Note: School map boundaries may have changed for the current school year so please contact your school district to verify school assignment for your child.
Living in the Area
Overall Niche Grade
- Cost of Livinggrade C minus
- Good for Familiesgrade A+
- Housinggrade C+
Median Household Income
Median Home Value
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
grade A minus
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school. 12 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there. 12 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 22 responses
- Spirit Week32%
- Sport events23%
- School Dances/Fundraisers18%
- Pep rallys9%
- Club Smash tournament5%
- Pep rallies5%
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive. 14 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy. 14 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic. 14 responses
Average Teacher Salary
Teachers in First/Second Year
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons. 17 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students. 17 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom. 17 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
grade B minus
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
$21,451 / year
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in. 20 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need. 20 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations. 20 responses
Schools like Highland Park High School
- grade A+South Brunswick High School
- South Brunswick School District, NJ
- Rating 3.96 out of 5 488 reviews
- grade A+Holmdel High School
- Holmdel Township School District, NJ
- Rating 3.77 out of 5 167 reviews
- grade A+Bridgewater-Raritan High School
- Bridgewater-Raritan Regional School District, NJ
- Rating 3.79 out of 5 458 reviews
- grade A+East Brunswick High School
- East Brunswick Township School District, NJ
- Rating 3.75 out of 5 577 reviews
Highland Park High School Reviews
Rating 3.71 out of 5 90 reviews
Selecting a category below will take you to another page
I appreciate the diversity in the school's population, and their attempts to diversify classes and genres, such as their test trial with a LGBTQ+ curriculum. Most of the teachers are passionate and care for the students, but there are some who do not understand the damage they do to students when they do not teach effectively. Some of the management decisions made by the high school staff has led to mixed responses and changes, such as budget cuts to the music department and the cut of the home economics department to reserve money for a district-wide chromebook purchase. The potential cuts of several english/arts classes and the ending of the French Program also loom over HPHS. The counselors only help you when the student reaches out. Overall, Highland Park High School is an average school with potential to improve and thrive.
Highland Park High School is definitely not the worst place in terms of public education, but it can be improved on a lot. This district is extremely small, resulting in a general lack of opportunities for students to excel. Without the necessary amount of students, course options, afterschool clubs, and sports are woefully limited. Special emphasis should be placed on the lack of college preparation provided to students. While the school boasts closer teacher and student relations as a benefit of the small size, counselors rarely meet and get to know the students they are guiding. This is at no fault of their own either, where three (3) counselors are responsible for the ~450 student body. Further, little information is provided to students regarding the process of applying. As for the school culture, the students are mostly Highland Park residents making social life really cliquey. Overall not a bad school but definitely not the best around.
Highland Park is a school with lots of diversity that focuses completely on Education. This leaves sports as a last priority which is an issue but besides that, Highland Park has taught me so much and has let me continue to flourish and learn lessons now that will help me in the future!