Highland Park High School is an elite, public school located in Highland Park, IL. It has 2,023 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 13 to 1. According to state test scores, 5% of students are at least proficient in math and 12% in reading.
Highland Park High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A+258 Students
- A+199 Students
- A+136 Students
- A134 Students
- A+119 Students
- A+116 Students
- A+113 Students
- A+95 Students
- A+92 Students
- A-88 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.21 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.21 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 55 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.19 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.19 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.19 responses
Average Teacher Salary
Teachers in First/Second Year
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.30 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.30 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.30 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.32 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.32 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.32 responses
Schools like Highland Park High School
- A+Deerfield High School
- Township High School District No. 113, IL
- 262 reviews
- A+William Fremd High School
- Township High School District No. 211, IL
- 497 reviews
- A+Buffalo Grove High School
- Township High School District No. 214, IL
- 389 reviews
- A+Grayslake Central High School
- Grayslake Community High School District No. 127, IL
- 346 reviews
Highland Park High School Reviews
I am attending Highland Park High School currently as a freshman and I already love the school! They have so much variety put into their clubs and activities. We have a big art festival called FOCUS that happens every two years and it was truly a breathtaking experience, getting to pick the classes you want and pursuing those things. They also have things for the Hispanic side of the school. They have clubs specifically for exploring more about Hispanic culture and we have a Latin dance club as well that I am in. The security guards are super friendly and not always on your back about things, they're like your local adult friends that you see in the halls occasionally. I also love that the effort that comes from teachers and staff is almost equally matched with the effort from the students. During our annual charity Drive, our whole school saved 142,430 dollars for a sexual abuse center,The Zacharias Center. I feel blessed to be in this school.
Highland Park High School has top academics. They have diversity, good teachers, and an array of clubs and activities. Highland Park High School definitely prepares students will for college; they have top counselors, great college counseling, and rigorous classes. There are many resources there to help students with school work, as well as with emotional help. I know that I feel ready to move on to college. Additionally, there are numerous clubs, sports, and activities for students to get involved! I feel prepared with all the materials I have learned, and with the rigorous course load I have taken throughout my high school.
Highland park is a school that takes pride in its challenging academics, and advanced facilities, however unfortunately the school environment tends to be unfriendly, and most people tend to stay within their social circle. The school is racially segregated and it is apparent many people do not feel comfortable in all locations of the school, and do not feel comfortable utilizing all of the resources the school has to offer. Highland park's biggest downfall is lack of communication between administration and students.