Highland High School Rankings
Niche ranks over 14,000 public high schools based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A522 Students
- A-298 Students
- B+289 Students
- B+135 Students
- A+134 Students
- B128 Students
- B-96 Students
- B67 Students
- A+58 Students
- A+56 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.61 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.61 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 204 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.71 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.71 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.71 responses
Average Teacher Salary
Teachers in First/Second Year
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.103 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.103 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.103 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.111 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.111 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.111 responses
Highland High School Reviews
Review Highland High School
Most teachers at Highland have been wonderful! The best teacher I've ever had was my sophomore English teacher who unfortunately switched schools for better pay. She went above and beyond and passionately taught us college-level concepts that helped me significantly in community-college English classes I took. Most math teachers however are either passive-aggressive towards students, thereby discouraging class discussion and negatively affecting what the students learn, or do the bare minimum: pre-printed 15 minute note pages and individual or group homework pages, leaving about 30 min of class time empty. In my AP US History class, students who are excellent in all other classes failed miserably because the teacher, though a thoroughly enjoyable storyteller, taught exclusively through textbook lectures, and the grades got so bad that he stopped testing altogether, began showed documentaries, and curved the final test scores so everyone could pass. The elective class teachers are by far the best. The music and agriculture programs are some of the best in the state, with instructors that keep up and more! Overall, despite some negative teaching trends in the math and history departments, the teachers are very good at what they do at Highland.
Excellent music program. Both my younger sister and I are in choir, and she is in band. We have learned more from our instructors than we would have in individual voice lessons, which so much opportunity to perform for adjudicators and contests, as well as go on various out-of-state tours. Highland Choirs are invited every year to sing at Carnegie Hall, and go every few years. Excellent agriculture program. Provides leadership and work skills as well as agricultural knowledge at a level that is understandable, applicable, and really fun! The other trade and elective classes are incredible-- welding, woodworking, auto, fashion and interior design, clay, art, photography, and culinary classes. We also have extremely useful and well-taught computer and film classes, as well as child development and Toy Box.
I LOVE my experience I have had at Highland High. I have such a love for the music program that I Am able to be apart of. The experience and opportunities I have been able to be involved in are abnormal for high school orchestras. The orchestra program becomes family, and that "Highland Orchestra Family" started in 7th grade orchestra at Highland Junior. The repertoire we are able to play at the end of the year is astounding; experiences I know I may not have to the opportunity to be apart of. The head of the music program is Bill Bitter, a pure genius in music. A man who has taught at Highland since it opened. We would not be what we are without him. Go Hawks!