High School Math Science & Engineering at The City College of New York (CCNY) is a top rated, public school located in New York, NY. It has 476 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 16 to 1. According to state test scores, 95% of students are at least proficient in math and 95% in reading.
High School Math Science & Engineering at The City College of New York (CCNY) Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A+87 Students
- A-87 Students
- A+79 Students
- A+65 Students
- A64 Students
- A+60 Students
- A+44 Students
- A+44 Students
- A+44 Students
- A+39 Students
Note: School map boundaries may have changed for the current school year so please contact your school district to verify school assignment for your child.
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.14 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.14 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.18 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.18 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.18 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.25 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.25 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.25 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.27 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.27 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.27 responses
Schools like High School Math Science & Engineering at The City College of New York (CCNY)
- AColumbia Secondary School
- New York City Geographic District No. 5, NY
- 99 reviews
- A+High School of American Studies at Lehman College
- New York City Geographic District No. 10, NY
- 105 reviews
- A+Brooklyn Technical High School
- New York City Geographic District No. 13, NY
- 1,740 reviews
- A+New Explorations into Science,Technology & Math School
- New York City Geographic District No. 1, NY
- 185 reviews
High School Math Science & Engineering at The City College of New York (CCNY) Reviews
After spending almost 4 years as a student in this school, I believe it was the best choice I've ever made. I originally applied to HSMSE because they had an anime club. But after I came to the school, and left the anime club only to pop in every now and then, I found so much more. The teachers are all certified in their concentrations, real engineers walk the hallways, and college professors lecture about Hemingway in front of my desk. Since it's a small school, I'm familiar with almost every person in the school, often forgetting who is in what grade. Being on a college campus also has its perks. We have access to the college libraries for reports, lab facilities, and a quad to enjoy lunch with friends. The guidance counselors know us by name and can recommend various colleges based on our interests and career aspirations. I mean, we aren't rated third best in New York City for nothing!
Being a senior I have gone through many phases at this school and realized it is what you make of it. Definitely not for everybody but if you try hard enough you will not only succeed, but gain lots of insight on how to be successful outside of school. Time management, positive thinking and clear communication with your peers and teachers will optimize your time here. We have amazing resources and opportunities given to us all the time, education is best of the best and everyone can find a friend. Students are usually very open and accepting, a tad childish but I could see it being a lot worse at other schools. By the end of freshman year, you're bound to have found some very beneficial connections and systems for group work.
I think that this is a great environment for high schoolers that encourages and pushes students to learn. It also has amazing teachers that truly love what they do and care about the students. The small community allows for strong bonds to be formed between all students and teachers. The diversity in this school is also amazing and present at HSMSE. The students work hard and care about school as well as their life outside of school. The school is located on the CCNY campus and shares its gym, allowing students to work out in a much larger gym than they would otherwise in a different school. There are many sports and extracurriculars that are available for students which gives them a chance to make friends and give them an activity to do outside of school. The coaches at HSMSE are committed to their team and help students develop skills to play.