High School Math Science & Engineering at The City College of New York (CCNY) is a top rated, public school located in New York, NY. It has 476 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 16 to 1. According to state test scores, 95% of students are at least proficient in math and 95% in reading.
High School Math Science & Engineering at The City College of New York (CCNY) Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A+73 Students
- A-72 Students
- A+69 Students
- A58 Students
- A+57 Students
- A+57 Students
- A+39 Students
- A+38 Students
- A+32 Students
- A+32 Students
Note: School map boundaries may have changed for the current school year so please contact your school district to verify school assignment for your child.
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.13 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.13 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.17 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.17 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.17 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.24 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.24 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.24 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.26 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.26 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.26 responses
Schools like High School Math Science & Engineering at The City College of New York (CCNY)
- AColumbia Secondary School
- New York City Geographic District No. 5, NY
- 93 reviews
- A+High School of American Studies at Lehman College
- New York City Geographic District No. 10, NY
- 105 reviews
- A+Brooklyn Technical High School
- New York City Geographic District No. 13, NY
- 1,676 reviews
- A+New Explorations into Science,Technology & Math School
- New York City Geographic District No. 1, NY
- 180 reviews
High School Math Science & Engineering at The City College of New York (CCNY) Reviews
After spending almost 4 years as a student in this school, I believe it was the best choice I've ever made. I originally applied to HSMSE because they had an anime club. But after I came to the school, and left the anime club only to pop in every now and then, I found so much more. The teachers are all certified in their concentrations, real engineers walk the hallways, and college professors lecture about Hemingway in front of my desk. Since it's a small school, I'm familiar with almost every person in the school, often forgetting who is in what grade. Being on a college campus also has its perks. We have access to the college libraries for reports, lab facilities, and a quad to enjoy lunch with friends. The guidance counselors know us by name and can recommend various colleges based on our interests and career aspirations. I mean, we aren't rated third best in New York City for nothing!
HSMSE is a highly competitive school, preparing students well for college. The school offers many advanced and AP courses, along with a selection of unique classes for engineering that aren't offered at any other city school. The Mt Sinai Hospital track offered to juniors and seniors is one of the school's best things it has to offer. The small community makes good student-teacher relationships, which is very important in the college process. Additionally, HSMSE is on CCNY's college campus- this ensures safety for all students and also gives access the the college's gym and cafeteria facilities. As a senior, I've grown to love the school and its staff. The engineering classes I've taken have greatly impacted my choice of majors and career interests, and the guidance counselor does an amazing job at helping me find the right school for me.
Small school with a tight-knit community. All the students in the school practically know each other by name and the staff know almost all the students personally. The students in this school are literally some of the brightest and most hard working in the city. Because, the high school is located on a college campus, students have the advantage of using many college resources at a high school level. Since it is a small school, there is only a limited number of clubs and sports.