Overall Niche Grade
- Academicsgrade A
- Diversitygrade B minus
- Teachersgrade A minus
- College Prepgrade A
- Clubs & Activitiesgrade B
- Health & Safetygrade A
- Administrationgrade A minus
- Sportsgrade A minus
- Foodgrade B
- Resources & Facilitiesgrade C
H.H. Dow High School is a highly rated, public school located in Midland, MI. It has 1,271 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 20 to 1. According to state test scores, 70% of students are at least proficient in math and 85% in reading.
H.H. Dow High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- grade A319 Students
- grade A+251 Students
- grade B189 Students
- grade B+132 Students
- grade B126 Students
- grade B minus96 Students
- grade A95 Students
- grade B+83 Students
- grade B minus69 Students
- grade B58 Students
Living in the Area
Overall Niche Grade
- Cost of Livinggrade B+
- Good for Familiesgrade A+
- Housinggrade A
Median Household Income
Median Home Value
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school. 23 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there. 23 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 51 responses
- The Midland-Dow Football Game and Spirit Week!37%
- Pep rallies6%
- Spirit Week6%
- Band Showcase & Festival4%
grade B minus
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive. 25 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy. 25 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic. 25 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons. 31 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students. 31 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom. 31 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
$14,062 / year
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in. 32 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need. 32 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations. 32 responses
Schools like H.H. Dow High School
- grade BFreeland Middle/High School
- Freeland Community School District, MI
- Rating 3.8 out of 5 97 reviews
- grade unavailableIsd-Local Programs
- Bay-Arenac Intermediate School District, MI
- PK, K-12
- grade BBay City Western High School
- Bay City School District, MI
- Rating 3.54 out of 5 223 reviews
- grade unavailableMCESA School Classroom Programs
- Midland County Educational Service Agency, MI
- PK, K-12
H.H. Dow High School Reviews
Rating 3.92 out of 5 186 reviews
Selecting a category below will take you to another page
The school provides some of the best education in the state, and its students are always placing high on standardized testing and advanced testing like AP and IB. The International Baccalaureate program at Dow is phenomenal and the teachers that run the program have a ton of experience. As a senior now at the high school, I can attest to the fact that you can't go wrong by attending this school. The staff and faculty are incredibly welcoming, and you can fit right in seamlessly. There are tons of clubs you can join or even create, with teachers who are prepared to be their supervisors. The athletic programs are great as well, but having played boys varsity tennis for 4 years, I have the most knowledge of that. This program has brought in more state titles for the school than any other sport. If you're a tennis player, make sure to try out for the team, you don't want to miss out!
From my four years attending this establishment, I would like to begin by saying thank you to the wonderful staff and students at Dow High. Over my years at the school, I was presented with many social and academic opportunities that helped prepare me for the future and shape me into the person I am today. The academic opportunities range from the rigors International Baccaleautre program, in which I was a participant, the Advanced Placement Program, Dual Enrollment, or opportunities for Job Shadowing and Co-Oping. From a social standpoint, Dow High offered many different extracurricular activities whether it was academic, social, or sports groups/teams. I had the ability to participate in the soccer program, Alpine Club, and Club Med which allowed me to play sports not just as an individual playing for a club but as a team playing for a school and also opened the door to learning new skills, and Opportunites within a career/academic focused club. Overall, it is a strong enviornment.
The teachers are mostly very knowledgeable and passionate, and the school does a good job of preparing students for college. There are several sports and clubs to join, and students often take initiative in starting new ones. Great spirit on game days with hallway parades! The point system is sometimes a stress for students. In 2019-2020 school year, security was ramped up quite a bit.