Overall Niche Grade
- Academicsgrade D+
- Diversitygrade B minus
- Teachersgrade C+
- College Prepgrade D+
- Clubs & Activitiesgrade C
- Health & Safetygrade C
- Administrationgrade D+
- Sportsgrade B minus
- Foodgrade C minus
- Resources & Facilitiesgrade B minus
Hertford County High School is a public school located in Ahoskie, NC. It has 605 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 15 to 1. According to state test scores, 5% of students are at least proficient in math and 17% in reading.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- grade B121 Students
- grade B115 Students
- grade B minus94 Students
- grade B minus92 Students
- grade A+84 Students
- grade B minus60 Students
- grade C+53 Students
- grade B+53 Students
- grade A+47 Students
- grade B41 Students
Living in the Area
Overall Niche Grade
- Cost of Livinggrade B+
- Good for Familiesgrade C minus
- Housinggrade C minus
Median Household Income
Median Home Value
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school. 16 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there. 16 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 34 responses
- Graduation day24%
- Spirit Week24%
- Last day of school15%
- Clubs/ Organizations12%
- First day of school12%
- Advising Time3%
grade B minus
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive. 16 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy. 16 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic. 16 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons. 20 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students. 20 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom. 20 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
$11,172 / year
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in. 18 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need. 18 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations. 18 responses
Hertford County High School Reviews
Rating 2.95 out of 5 125 reviews
Selecting a category below will take you to another page
I have enjoyed my years at Hertford County High School. My teachers were all in for learning. They didn't leave a student without understanding of their subject. I liked my study groups with my peers. The administration is always there to lend a hand with each student. My favorite part about my school is the sports. I've cheered the last three years. During football, basketball, and baseball almost every student and faculty member was in the building. We have always supported each other. This year has been hard because of Covid 19. I am missing my senior and all that comes along with being at school. The only thing Iwish we had was an SAT Prep class. It would help a lot of students.
HCHS does a good job of preparing students the best as best as they can considering the little funding that they have and the school is filled with determined staff. I feel, however, college prep should be more enforced in the curriculum. I think that would not only help students get a deeper understanding of their education and increase ACT and SAT scores but would also help them be prepared, instead of lost, when they go to college.
I liked how some teachers were truly dedicated to seeing their students succeed. There were teachers that made the learning experience exciting and positively memorable. However, there were others who didn't put forth the same effort into helping all students, but had an ulterior motive for assisting the children of high-powered people in the county. Those teachers would undermine other students' success to bolster the success of the influential children. There are many books that need to be updated; they are falling apart, contradictory, and outdated. There is an abundance of outmoded technology.