Overall Niche Grade
- College PrepA+
- Clubs & ActivitiesA
- Health & SafetyA+
- Resources & FacilitiesA
Herricks High School is a top rated, public school located in New Hyde Park, NY. It has 1,295 students in grades 8-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 13 to 1. According to state test scores, 99% of students are at least proficient in math and 99% in reading.
Herricks High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A+302 Students
- A-275 Students
- A+195 Students
- A-181 Students
- A+178 Students
- A135 Students
- B126 Students
- A+121 Students
- B119 Students
- B+108 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.18 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.18 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.21 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.21 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.21 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.29 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.29 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.29 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.31 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.31 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.31 responses
Schools like Herricks High School
- A+Eleanor Roosevelt High School
- New York City Geographic District No. 2, NY
- 138 reviews
- A+High School of American Studies at Lehman College
- New York City Geographic District No. 10, NY
- 126 reviews
- A+Mamaroneck High School
- Mamaroneck Union Free School District, NY
- 139 reviews
- A+New Explorations into Science, Technology & Math School
- New York City Geographic District No. 1, NY
- 201 reviews
Herricks High School Reviews
Herricks is considered to be a pretty good school. They are known for their music program and excelling in academics. It's also very diverse; many of the students are Asian. The teachers are mostly nice though they may not always be the best teachers, but most schools have teachers like that. Either way, the school prides itself on having qualified teachers. Herricks can be very competitive, grade-wise. It has high scores compared to many other schools. The students are like any other students; they're not exceptionally mean or nice. The food is decent, and better than a lot of what other schools serve. There's hot lunch that changes daily, pizza, bagels, salads, and paninis. They have a football field, soccer field, baseball field, and tennis courts. The football team is known for being below average.
My experience at Herricks High School was absolutely fantastic. The teachers really care about their students and you can always find them outside of the classroom. They're always very friendly and can talk about anything even if it is unrelated to the class. Herricks High School is also very competitive however it is more so collaborative. Everybody wants to see each other succeed. Everyone is there to help each other and be there for each other whether it be for academics or just socializing. One thing that is a downside to Herricks High School is the competitiveness. People lose sleep over school. They will be up until 2 a.m. studying for classes. everybody wants to get that a plus. It is both a good thing and a bad thing. Also, Herricks High School has a majority of Asian students. There are barely any Latinos, African Americans, and Native Americans.
I think Herricks is a great school, especially parents looking for a school that helps their child excel academically as well as delve into their other interests. Herricks offers a variety of after-school activities and elective classes to help engage teenagers in a plethora of hobbies, and the teachers continue to be passionate about what they do and prioritize the students. Not to mention, Herricks as a district starts preparing kids for college as soon as they begin to pack up at the middle school and get ready to jump into high school. All in all, Herricks is great high school for ambitious and determined students.