Overall Niche Grade
- College PrepC-
- Clubs & ActivitiesB-
- Health & SafetyB+
- Resources & FacilitiesB
Herbert Hoover High School is a public school located in Elkview, WV. It has 785 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 21 to 1. According to state test scores, 17% of students are at least proficient in math and 47% in reading.
Herbert Hoover High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- B-104 Students
- A-100 Students
- C86 Students
- B62 Students
- C+40 Students
- B-30 Students
- C-28 Students
- C25 Students
- B-24 Students
- A+22 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.7 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.7 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 24 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.8 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.8 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.8 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.9 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.9 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.9 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.8 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.8 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.8 responses
Herbert Hoover High School Reviews
I enjoyed attending this school because the teachers are friendly, understanding, and put the needs of students above all. Any topic, lesson, or assignment that gave me trouble was easily met with guidance. Although some of my peers had disciplinary issues often resulting in school wide punishment/restrictions, I feel that these procedures were beneficial in the growth and maturity of young adolescents. This school also has a tremendous amount of school spirit which drives the student body and creates a fun and lively atmosphere. I would highly recommend attending this school, especially if you want to be involved as an active member in your community.
The teachers and staff at Hoover care so much about the student's personal lives and futures and continually urge us to do our best. Although conditions ere not always ideal going to school in portables, they still encouraged us to see the brighter side of things and to focus on our schooling. If there was only one thing I could change about Hoover, it would be some of the student's expectations of themselves. Many of them don't care about their education or future and sometimes ruin it for the others with their poor attitudes. I have made many friendships at Hoover with people that I wouldn't have thought possible, including teachers. One of my favorite things about high school is the spring sports season. I play softball at Hoover and we have won three state championships. That's another amazing thing about Hoover is the community and the staff being there to support us during a time of immense pressure. There is no other school I would have rather gone to.
Herbert Hoover is an amazing school. The areas it lacks aren’t its own fault, or even administrative faults. Its due to the county. Despite the flood and losing the school the senior class of 2020 never got to attend, we have nicer facilities, larger rooms, more bathrooms, and each room has its own heating and cooling system which doesn’t happen in regular schools. Almost every single teacher and administrator cares about each student’s future and they treat us like the young adults we are. We have responsibilities and are held accountable for our words and actions. I could not imagine going to another high school because after spending four years with these people, I wouldn’t have it any other way. The circumstances aren’t always ideal, but what is? I would like to see more class subjects come to Herbert Hoover. I feel as though we don’t have the same opportunities that many other schools in the area have.