Overall Niche Grade
- College PrepA-
- Clubs & ActivitiesB
- Health & SafetyB
- Resources & FacilitiesB
Hempstead High School is an above average, public school located in Dubuque, IA. It has 1,721 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 16 to 1. According to state test scores, 81% of students are at least proficient in math and 77% in reading.
Hempstead High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A226 Students
- A141 Students
- B+122 Students
- B-76 Students
- B-67 Students
- B+61 Students
- B-54 Students
- B53 Students
- B49 Students
- A+42 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.22 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.22 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 83 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.27 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.27 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.27 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.37 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.37 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.37 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.37 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.37 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.37 responses
Schools like Hempstead High School
- B+Dubuque Senior High School
- Dubuque Community School District, IA
- 227 reviews
- B+Galena High School
- Galena Unified School District No. 120, IL
- 47 reviews
- B+Western Dubuque High School
- Western Dubuque Community School District, IA
- 149 reviews
- BCuba City High School
- Cuba City School District, WI
- 33 reviews
Hempstead High School Reviews
For me, Hempstead Highschool provides students with a successful environment. Hempstead Highschool allowed me to be independent, but offered helped if I ever needed it. I was allowed to take my education into my own hands without parents or teachers breathing down my neck. It has helped prepare me for the future and for college. Overall I feel like Hempstead is also a safe environment. Even with all of the issues going on with school shootings I feel like the staff at Hempstead has gone out of their way to try and keep the students safe. They have also helped prepare us just in case a situation like that were to happen. Hempstead has provided me a enjoyable Highschool experience where I feel like I have been able to grow academically, athletically, and personally.
Hempstead is a very good school where all the staff and teachers are very friendly, and there is a large variety of classes you can take. There could definitely be more parental involvement however, by possibly having some sort of PTA meetings or volunteer options more often. There could be more diversity with after school clubs and activities as well as valuing all types of activities on the same level- sports seem to be valued higher over the arts and academic-based clubs.
It’s a great school as far as school spirit goes. However, some of the students were frankly disrespectful to other students and staff. Due to many of these incidents, opportunities like pep assemblies were taken away from the students that earned it. It is a great school to get an education, but I would honestly give its student body a one out of five stars.