Overall Niche Grade
- College PrepB
- Clubs & ActivitiesB
- Health & SafetyA-
- Resources & FacilitiesC
Hempfield Area Senior High School is an above average, public school located in Greensburg, PA. It has 1,842 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 18 to 1. According to state test scores, 70% of students are at least proficient in math and 82% in reading.
Hempfield Area Senior High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A295 Students
- A+247 Students
- A-154 Students
- B-134 Students
- B-120 Students
- B-107 Students
- C107 Students
- B96 Students
- B-93 Students
- A+86 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.24 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.24 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.25 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.25 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.25 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.33 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.33 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.33 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.39 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.39 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.39 responses
Schools like Hempfield Area Senior High School
- A-Norwin Senior High School
- Norwin School District, PA
- 268 reviews
- B-Derry Area Senior High School
- Derry Area School District, PA
- 134 reviews
- AFranklin Regional Senior High School
- Franklin Regional School District, PA
- 320 reviews
- B-Yough Senior High School
- Yough School District, PA
- 110 reviews
Hempfield Area Senior High School Reviews
I thing I liked the most at Hempfield was the variety of classes they provided, there was an interesting class someone could take. There were a large variety of clubs and activities that everyone could always find something that fit with them.
Things are run sort of old-fashioned and I don’t think the school has been renovated since it opened in the 50’s, but don’t worry because we got a new field house, football field, fancy score board, press box and baseball field in the last 10 years. Football team is not good, but other sports are. The inside of the school is really falling apart. The teachers I’ve had have been very helpful to me though, and also (somewhat) the guidance office. Administration isn’t run well because most of them never come into the school itself to see how things are run, and what actually needs to be changed instead of dumb things. This past year they moved our activity period from the beginning of the day to 3rd period of the new 10 period schedule. 1st period now starts at 7:25 and it is brutal, leaving little time to cram for tests or get tutoring help etc. Sadly not a very good music department (choir, musical, lack of orchestra) but a very good marching band.
I overall enjoyed my years within the high school, and school district. The teachers are kind, the environment is friendly and welcoming. However, the one problem I found with the school is the lack of diversity. As a half white, have African American girl, I didn't often see other students like myself. That's not necessarily a problem that the school itself can fix due to their location. However, that is just a problem I found with the school. Overall, I feel well prepared for college, and I enjoyed my experience at Hempfield.