Hellgate High School is a highly rated, public school located in Missoula, MT. It has 1,203 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 13 to 1. According to state test scores, 47% of students are at least proficient in math and 60% in reading.
Hellgate High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- B-244 Students
- B+155 Students
- A+73 Students
- A-49 Students
- B45 Students
- A+40 Students
- A37 Students
- B+36 Students
- A-34 Students
- A-33 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.14 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.14 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 32 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.17 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.17 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.17 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.27 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.27 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.27 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.24 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.24 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.24 responses
Schools like Hellgate High School
Hellgate High School Reviews
Poor administration at Hellgate High School unilaterally does not care for students. Though faculty is more often than not stellar, programs, classes and staff are cut each year to make room for more money-spinning ventures such as the IB Diploma Programme, which, even in its seventh year, struggles to be managed effectively at a school whose administration only wishes to have the appearance of a top institution--without putting in the work. If a student is struggling with mental health issues or problems at home, the administration and Hellgate's counseling service--which is an oxymoron--consistently makes it abundantly clear they would rather the student leave Hellgate than find an accommodation or a solution to the issue at hand.
Hellgate High School was a great fit for me at the beginning of my high school career. The people who attend school there are generally pretty accepting and inclusive. I had great experience in things such as cross country and drama. The councilors could be more involved especially in preparing juniors and seniors for the rigorous process of graduating and moving on. Overall, the teachers are pretty good. The IB program could be handled much better. No one seems to have a clue as to what they are doing when it comes to that. I think that the IB program has the potential to be prospective changing and very helpful for unconventional learning, but it is not applied well at Hellage. I think that this is because of the lack of resources staff members have when learning/training for IB curriculum. Non the less, Hellgate was a great experience. I had never felt so at home.
I really love Hellgate, no matter it's flaws. The teachers are great an caring with some exceptional stand-outs that make the day that much better. The administration, however, is terrible. It is a monopoly that just wants to appease to the public and not care about students and their opinions. The school is socially very accepting and the people are overall very kind. Classes can be challenging if you choose to take challenging course which preps you for college. Yet the guidance on applying to colleges is lacking and vague. The help for people struggling in home life is also somewhat lacking, but I also feel that that is the case everywhere. Overall Hellgate is an accepting environment with plenty of opportunities and caring people.