Overall Niche Grade
- Academicsgrade A minus
- Diversitygrade B
- Teachersgrade B+
- College Prepgrade B+
- Clubs & Activitiesgrade B+
- Health & Safetygrade A
- Administrationgrade B+
- Sportsgrade A
- Foodgrade B+
- Resources & Facilitiesgrade B+
Helena High School is a highly rated, public school located in Helena, AL. It has 1,312 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 19 to 1. According to state test scores, 70% of students are at least proficient in math and 68% in reading.
Helena High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- grade A minus211 Students
- grade A198 Students
- grade A169 Students
- grade B129 Students
- grade B113 Students
- grade A minus87 Students
- grade A minus82 Students
- grade B minus76 Students
- grade B64 Students
- grade B63 Students
Living in the Area
Overall Niche Grade
- Cost of Livinggrade B+
- Good for Familiesgrade A+
- Housinggrade A
Median Household Income
Median Home Value
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school. 6 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there. 6 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 54 responses
- The student section24%
- Pep rallies13%
- Sports events13%
- Band compititions9%
- Spirit Week9%
- Pep rallies7%
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive. 6 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy. 6 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic. 6 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons. 20 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students. 20 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom. 20 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
$10,918 / year
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in. 18 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need. 18 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations. 18 responses
Helena High School Reviews
Rating 4.2 out of 5 123 reviews
Selecting a category below will take you to another page
Astounding teachers and staff who are truly there for their students in times of need, help, or just to talk! The school is organized for the most part and well disciplined. I attended a very small school before Helena and can stand by the fact that it is an above average school that prioritizes their students and their education.
I went to school here and graduated this past year. Overall the school up there. The student body was good, and the teaching staff for the most part did a really good job, with several teachers going way above and beyond. Unfortunately, the school was built for 900 students, and they are currently above 1300 students, so classrooms are crammed. Also the administration almost completely focuses on sports, so there is a lack of funding for clubs and other departments. This leads to a lack of extracurricular classes for the size of our school. If you are big into sports though, we do our sports teams right, for the most part. Our school is very supportive of our basketball, volleyball, and especially football team. Overall, it was a pretty good school. I felt safe, and they did a good job preparing the student body for the future, considering over 85% of my graduating class ended up moving to some sort of college.
Helena High School is the perfect school for students whom are serious about their future aspirations, or still in questioning, to attend. This education system has an extremely intelligent administration and staff which of whom are heavily dedicated in making sure each and every one of their students succeed in their studies as well as establishing strong connections for guidance. The student body is fairly diverse and open, giving an opportunity for students to freely express themselves and learn about one another. This school has a wide variety of clubs and organizations for students to choose from so that each student has one category to fall under and become involved with. Overall, Helena High School is a highly recommended school to attend to achieve college preparedness.