Hazleton Area High School is a public school located in Hazle Township, PA. It has 3,304 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 17 to 1. According to state test scores, 42% of students are at least proficient in math and 57% in reading.
Hazleton Area High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A+225 Students
- B202 Students
- A202 Students
- B+135 Students
- C115 Students
- B105 Students
- A93 Students
- A-88 Students
- A+76 Students
- A-74 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.42 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.42 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.56 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.56 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.56 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.83 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.83 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.83 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.92 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.92 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.92 responses
Schools like Hazleton Area High School
- C+Hanover Area Junior/Senior High School
- Hanover Area School District, PA
- 106 reviews
- BMahanoy Area High School
- Mahanoy Area School District, PA
- 35 reviews
- BJim Thorpe Area High School
- Jim Thorpe Area School District, PA
- 130 reviews
- B-Berwick Area High School
- Berwick Area School District, PA
- 153 reviews
Hazleton Area High School Reviews
My experience at Hazleton Area High School has been nothing but fenomenal! For the past three years, I’ve created happy memories and good friends. Hazleton Area High School has prepared me for my life outside of school, and I am nothing but thankful for that. Not only did teachers fill my brain with knowledge, they helped me grow to the young adult I am today. My principal has been the most influential person here. He always reminds his students of how important they are to him, and I think that really matters. Hazleton Area High School is a safe place where you can create wonderful memories and remember them for a life time.
Hazleton Area High School is hit or miss. I am in a different building, the Hazleton Area Academy of Sciences, whose facilities, teachers, and college readiness factors are excellent. However, for the high school in general, there are not enough teachers, and some are awful. If you want good academics, you need to seize them yourself. I took all AP classes available to me so I had very good academic experiences, but students are not all encouraged to take AP or honors classes. Some departments of administration are terrible, such as transportation and security, and most clubs get very little funding.
Hazleton Area High School, there are alot of bad things said about this school, but it really is not as bad as you might think. What concerns people the most is the over crowdedness and the large amount of Latino students. I feel as though there is a large disconnect between the Latino students,especially the ones who cannot speak or understand English well, and the staff. This disconnect whether by language or not causes student to misbehave and be disrespectful. Unfortunately Hazleton does not provide enough of the resources to help all the students in our school to have that encouragement. Sure we have a few translators and ESL program, but a few is not going to help the vast amount of students become successful in life. There needs to be something done in that regard, however this is a problem that occurs district wide so there it is going to take a long time to find a plan that works to accommodate all of these Latino students.