Overall Niche Grade
- College PrepB
- Clubs & ActivitiesC
- Health & SafetyA-
- Resources & FacilitiesC
Hawthorne High School is an above average, public school located in Hawthorne, NJ. It has 688 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 13 to 1. According to state test scores, 20% of students are at least proficient in math and 42% in reading.
Hawthorne High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- B84 Students
- A81 Students
- B80 Students
- B-66 Students
- B+61 Students
- A-56 Students
- B+46 Students
- B39 Students
- B+38 Students
- A+33 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.8 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.8 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.9 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.9 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.9 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.13 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.13 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.13 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.17 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.17 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.17 responses
Schools like Hawthorne High School
- CThe Facing History School
- New York City Geographic District No. 2, NY
- 56 reviews
- B-Mott Hall V School
- New York City Geographic District No. 12, NY
- 46 reviews
- B-Essex County Donald M. Payne Senior School of Technology
- Public School
- Newark, NJ
- 107 reviews
- B-Newark Technical School
- Public School
- Newark, NJ
- 85 reviews
Hawthorne High School Reviews
Hawthorne High School is a school with many great resources and excellent safety protocol. There are some teachers who certain students dislike, but a lot of them are just tough on the students because they actually want to see them succeed. Many teachers do their best to prepare students for college. Hawthorne High makes good use of Google Classroom, because students usually submit most of their work, and might take a couple of quizzes or tests through it. And just like in any walk of life, you may come across some people who aren't super friendly, but Hawthorne High School has a wealth of nice kids who are searching for their identity, just like everyone else. Attending Hawthorne High School overall will have its highs and lows, like any school. But in the mix, you can find some friendly students and staff, as well as some academic challenges that help you grow into the best version of yourself.
You could tell that a lot of the teachers were very passionate about their jobs and they wanted to do whatever they could to help their students grow. However, the school could benefit from putting more money into the salaries of teachers as well as more money into learning resources. Recently, they redid the paving for the outdoor track, but I do not believe this was a high priority issue that needed to be fixed. They could do with an updating of the technology in some classrooms, especially the outdated Promethean Boards. They should also invest in better air conditioning, because some rooms get extremely hot during the spring because they lack the proper ventilation. Aside from these problems, it is a good school mostly because of the staff that work hard to make the best out of what they have.
The atmosphere of Hawthorne High School always felt very laid back and a bit like a second home to me. The activities that go on from Carnavale to Poetry Day are some of the things that make me actually enjoy coming to school. There's always going to be some sort of fun event coming up. Most of the teachers are really great and genuinely care for the students. My experience in Hawthorne High School's Spanish classes, and under the teaching of Rocio Martinez, showed me a love for Spanish and everything Hispanic that I never knew I had. Because of this experience I hope to minor in Spanish in college. This town is so tight-knit and small, making the school feel even smaller, which I think I really appreciate. I pretty much know everyone I go to school with, and I love it. I feel like I have a family away from home.