8800 121st St Sw
Lakewood, WA 98498
Harrison Preparatory School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A+33 Students
- B+23 Students
- B+22 Students
- A-18 Students
- A-14 Students
- B+13 Students
- B10 Students
- B-10 Students
- B+9 Students
- A-9 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.7 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.7 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.8 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.8 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.8 responses
Average Teacher Salary
Teachers in First/Second Year
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.11 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.11 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.11 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.12 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.12 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.12 responses
Schools like Harrison Preparatory School
- B-Lakes High School
- Clover Park School District, WA
- 241 reviews
- CClover Park High School
- Clover Park School District, WA
- 147 reviews
- A-Curtis Senior High School
- University Place School District, WA
- 320 reviews
- A-Science & Math Institute
- Tacoma School District, WA
- 128 reviews
Harrison Preparatory School Reviews
Review Harrison Preparatory School
While we have 2 children in the school, one in 6th grade and one in 12th grade, our experience is different with both. With the 6th grader I would say it has been an overall positive experience with great academics, great social interaction, great support. However, with the senior, the academics are excellent with the exception of the Theory of Knowledge teacher, Mr. Olsen. He is supposed to encourage debate of specific issues and facilitate the discussions and debates. He allows specific students to use the forum as a means to verbally intimidate and threaten others. This then is allowed to spill over into other classes and hallway interactions. The administration does nothing to curb this issue and the Dean seems to enjoy allowing it to continue especially as it is mostly aimed at the military children. There is a clear favoritism towards the local children at the expense of the military kids.
We recently received a new building because our prior one was very old and unsafe, and our new building has a lot of security such as locked doors both outside and for each classroom that require a key card to enter. We also have security cameras and are located near the police station which is a bonus safety precaution. While recently we did not have an actual nurse on staff but had a nurse that attended all the schools in the district, we now have an on staff nurse and a much better health room with much better equipment. We offer health programs at school to people who may not be able to offered much health or dental care help outside of school and we have health care options for military as well. In terms of mental health we have multiple guidance counselors that visit the school throughout the week specializing in things such as trauma or even just helping military kids deal with deployment of parents. Our health and safety policies have significantly improved in the last year since we received out new building.
Harrison Prep tries very hard to have clubs for both middle school and high school either combined or seperate. This past year we got a new building which meant more students and staff which allowed us to add more clubs like drama club and band to our after school program which has brought a lot more students to the after school program. Many teachers stay after school for at least an hour to provide extra help to students. While many of the middle schoolers just go to after school program to hang out with friends, it's still a safe place for them to hang out and they are given free snacks which might be very beneficial to students struggling at home financially. We also accommodate for students that can not attend after school program by having things like NHS hold meetings during the school day like at lunch. Overall I believe Harrison Prep tries to engage as many students as possible with any extra curricular activity that we can.