Harrison High School is an elite, public school located in Harrison, NY. It has 1,062 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 12 to 1. According to state test scores, 98% of students are at least proficient in math and 96% in reading.
Harrison High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A+68 Students
- A57 Students
- A+49 Students
- A+48 Students
- A+45 Students
- A-43 Students
- A+43 Students
- A+41 Students
- B+37 Students
- A37 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.6 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.6 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.9 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.9 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.9 responses
Average Teacher Salary
Teachers in First/Second Year
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.9 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.9 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.9 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.12 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.12 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.12 responses
Schools like Harrison High School
- A+Tenafly High School
- Tenafly Public Schools, NJ
- 88 reviews
- A+Paul D. Schreiber Senior High School
- Port Washington Union Free School District, NY
- 192 reviews
- A+Mamaroneck High School
- Mamaroneck Union Free School District, NY
- 114 reviews
- AOyster Bay High School
- Oyster Bay-East Norwich Central School District, NY
- 61 reviews
Harrison High School Reviews
Resources are abundant, but lopsidedly applied (e.g., cafeteria gets million dollar renovation with eight TVs no one watches, but the library computers still barely work). IB program brings in international base, and overall promotes analytic thinking, but can alienate by allowing some unchecked bigotry in the classroom. Class offerings could improve (only languages are French, Italian, and Spanish). Cut-throat environment among the upper wealth stratum; fixation on GPAs; grade inflation. Not much bullying but ignorance and slurs are rampant. Sports are intense, potentially leading to burnout. Cafeteria food is standard fare. Clubs are diverse; funding varies. Club membership is excessive, with quantity trumping quality. Administration is extremely bureaucratic, cumbersome, unresponsive, and thoroughly disliked by students and teachers alike. Blue-collar preparatory courses (e.g. automobile repair) have been abandoned, underscoring lack of care for students who don't bolster rankings.
I went from a geeky freshman to a varsity wrestler, to one of the male leads in the school musical. Harrison encourages it's students to try, to be, to do! The teachers were always available for help. It was not unusual to be on the phone with my AP Chemistry teacher at 11pm going over a homework assignment I was struggling with. Kids could walk in and attend a past teacher's class, during a free period of course. Sadly, when a few students passed away, the entire school, teachers, students, and families would come together for candlelight vigils.
The school spirit in the school is huge! Harrison High School has had a long rivalry with Rye High School so every year there is a very competitive game between the two football teams. Harrison finally won last year for the first time in 10 years. Not only is football big all the sports are always crowded and the coaches are very supportive and motivating. The trainer is also always available when someone has an injury or simply needs ice. The district also just funded a new fitness center available to the athletes as well as the students before or after school. Lastly, the gym program at Harrison High School is very educational. It isn't a simple gym class to just exercise that's for sure. The gym program is mandated for every student and included tests on muscles, exercises, and systems throughout the body. More than 2 unverified absences also leads to lost credit which pushes everyone to go to gym and work a sweat! Overall the athletic and fitness opportunities at Harrison High School are very beneficial.