Overall Niche Grade
- Academicsgrade B
- Diversitygrade C+
- Teachersgrade C
- College Prepgrade B
- Clubs & Activitiesgrade A
- Health & Safetygrade B minus
- Administrationgrade B
- Sportsgrade A
- Foodgrade B+
- Resources & Facilitiesgrade B+
Harrisburg High School is an above average, public school located in Harrisburg, SD. It has 1,053 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 13 to 1. According to state test scores, 29% of students are at least proficient in math and 60% in reading.
Harrisburg High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Percent Proficient - Reading
Percent Proficient - Math
Average Graduation Rate
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- grade B+142 Students
- grade B129 Students
- grade A minus100 Students
- grade A89 Students
- grade B minus50 Students
- grade A minus41 Students
- grade B37 Students
- grade A35 Students
- grade B minus31 Students
- grade A minus29 Students
Note: School map boundaries may have changed for the current school year so please contact your school district to verify school assignment for your child.
Living in the Area
grade A minus
Overall Niche Grade
- Cost of Livinggrade B+
- Good for Familiesgrade A minus
- Housinggrade A minus
Median Household Income
Median Home Value
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
grade B minus
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school. 10 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there. 10 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 8 responses
- Homecoming week!50%
- HOSA Week13%
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive. 9 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy. 9 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic. 9 responses
Average Teacher Salary
Teachers in First/Second Year
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons. 14 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students. 14 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom. 14 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
$10,662 / year
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in. 14 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need. 14 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations. 14 responses
Schools like Harrisburg High School
- grade BWest Lyon High School
- West Lyon Community School District, IA
- Rating 3.91 out of 5 34 reviews
- grade B minusLennox High School
- Lennox School District, SD
- Rating 4.08 out of 5 26 reviews
- grade ARoosevelt High School
- Sioux Falls School District, SD
- Rating 3.94 out of 5 394 reviews
- grade ABrandon Valley High School
- Brandon Valley School District, SD
- Rating 4.02 out of 5 219 reviews
Harrisburg High School Reviews
Rating 4.09 out of 5 109 reviews
Selecting a category below will take you to another page
I enjoy it here at Harrisburg High. There are so many different classes to take, and more are being added every year! Though, I wish to see the CL/MOD/Self-paced learning program mature a little. Granted, it has since I tried it freshman year, but there is still a ways to go. I want to see teachers help teach the kids more than from a video or EdPuzzle.
Harrisburg High School allows students to enroll in two different learning types: customized learning or traditional learning. With both programs students learn what is needed however learning the content is a little different. I was a customized learning student and it taught me to be self motivated, deal with anxiety, and the ability to manage my time. I have learned much more than just the basics from HHS, I learned that engaging with your teachers and reaching out if you need help is going to get you along way. I also meet some amazing people and had phenomenal experiences at football games, basketball games, homecoming events, and school dances. Seeing how high schools are portrayed on television with cliques, bullies, and the mean girls was not what I experienced at HHS. I felt that HHS was a positive environment and did not discriminate from anyone.
The teachers, counselor, and admin at HHS do a great job helping students find classes and opportunities that fit their individual needs and goals. It really feels like they see each student as an individual. There are also a lot of great opportunities available through the school district that go beyond the traditional classroom experience.