Overall Niche Grade
- College PrepB
- Clubs & ActivitiesA-
- Health & SafetyA
- Resources & FacilitiesB
Harlan High School is a highly rated, public school located in Harlan, IA. It has 507 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 15 to 1. According to state test scores, 92% of students are at least proficient in math and 87% in reading.
Harlan High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A84 Students
- A67 Students
- C+55 Students
- B+36 Students
- B-28 Students
- B-26 Students
- B25 Students
- A-25 Students
- B24 Students
- A-23 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.8 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.8 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 25 responses
- Friday night football40%
- State Sport Events20%
- Color Guard4%
- Mock Trial4%
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.12 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.12 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.12 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.14 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.14 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.14 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.18 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.18 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.18 responses
Harlan High School Reviews
The school has very good quality of academics, resources, and staff. I personally like the yoga and calmness class offer on flex day, a place you go to release stress and relax, you could also sleep there. This shows that the School care about the students and staff. The only thing I would change is the library entrance requirement, it's sad that not everyone can enjoy the amazing library, you will need a key card to enter. It's an amazing library with cool anime books, outlet to charge your phones, access to computer, and board games.
I moved to Harlan mid junior year, which is troublesome to move halfway throughout the semester. Particularly as a junior. I was assuming it to be difficult and challenging to adapt and fit in but the majority of the people and staff were incredibly welcoming and helping. The guidance counselors are continually there for you and are considerate of your every need. There are numerous things people would desire to improve about their school. One thing I would wish to see change in my school is how people get along with each other. We are always saying how everyone should get along and how we're a community, but we don't always act like it. I know its not something the school can do but I think we could all work on it in the future.
Even though its my freshman year here its awesome! the teachers and staff provide you with so many resources and study materials to pass all of your classes. It honestly makes you a better person throughout the day, to make you think about your actions, even to make new friends thank you for your time.