Harlan High School is a highly rated, public school located in Harlan, IA. It has 515 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 14 to 1. According to state test scores, 95% of students are at least proficient in math and 92% in reading.
Harlan High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A59 Students
- B-43 Students
- A41 Students
- B+21 Students
- B-20 Students
- B19 Students
- A17 Students
- B+13 Students
- B13 Students
- A-12 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.7 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.7 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.11 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.11 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.11 responses
Average Teacher Salary
Teachers in First/Second Year
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.13 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.13 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.13 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.17 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.17 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.17 responses
Schools like Harlan High School
Harlan High School Reviews
Well, to begin, fall of my sophomore year, a kid in my grade shot himself and committed suicide due to two other males in my grade lying about him bringing a gun to school, causing him to get expelled or suspended and police andction being brought against him. The spring of that year, we also had a bomb threat to all of the schools in our district. We evacuated and during our evacuation, a kid who participated in wrestling had a seizure and was near death due to the extreme weight cutting he underwent to make weight for a certain class in wrestling. Overall, hchs excels in academics but fails their children in physical and mental health.
This school isn't to bad, good for a small town h h h h h h h h h h h h h j j9 9 j fbf f f f r r f f f f g r d d r r r t t t t t t 5 4 3 3 k k k k k k k k k k k k k k h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h g g g g g g g g g f f f
Harlan is in the central united states, and there isn't a lot of racial, or cultural diversity. There of course is a few people that are diverse, but the population is majorly one-sided.