Overall Niche Grade
- Academicsgrade B
- Diversitygrade B+
- Teachersgrade A minus
- College Prepgrade B minus
- Clubs & Activitiesgrade B
- Health & Safetygrade A minus
- Administrationgrade B minus
- Sportsgrade unavailable
- Foodgrade B
- Resources & Facilitiesgrade B minus
Hardin-Jefferson High School is an above average, public school located in Sour Lake, TX. It has 700 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 13 to 1. According to state test scores, 77% of students are at least proficient in math and 61% in reading.
Hardin-Jefferson High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- grade B minus189 Students
- grade A+130 Students
- grade B+101 Students
- grade A+89 Students
- grade B82 Students
- grade A67 Students
- grade A minus65 Students
- grade B61 Students
- grade A minus61 Students
- grade A+37 Students
Living in the Area
Overall Niche Grade
- Cost of Livinggrade unavailable
- Good for Familiesgrade unavailable
- Housinggrade unavailable
Median Household Income
Median Home Value
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
grade A minus
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school. 9 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there. 9 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 26 responses
- Football games35%
- Homecoming parade23%
- Christmas on the square8%
- Pep rallies8%
- Rivalry basketball games8%
- Thanksgiving feast8%
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive. 11 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy. 11 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic. 11 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons. 15 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students. 15 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom. 15 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
$9,769 / year
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in. 16 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need. 16 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations. 16 responses
Schools like Hardin-Jefferson High School
- grade BLumberton High School
- Lumberton Independent School District, TX
- Rating 3.77 out of 5 120 reviews
- grade B minusHamshire-Fannett High School
- Hamshire-Fannett Independent School District, TX
- Rating 3.84 out of 5 176 reviews
- grade B minusHull-Daisetta High School
- Hull-Daisetta Independent School District, TX
- Rating 3.38 out of 5 8 reviews
- grade CWest Hardin High School
- West Hardin County Consolidated Independent School District, TX
- Rating 3.83 out of 5 23 reviews
Hardin-Jefferson High School Reviews
Rating 3.66 out of 5 98 reviews
Selecting a category below will take you to another page
I have had good experiences at Hardin Jefferson. I love the school spirit around homecoming, the basketball and football games, and the pep rallies. One thing I wish I could change about the school is the friend groups. I feel like so many people are not included if they're new or not from Sour Lake. But other than that, I lie going to school there!
HJ is amazing! It's the best school in the area by a long shot. HJ has teachers that truly love and care about students by taking the time to know them. They are always willing to lend a hand! Students at HJ are (most of the time) well-behaved. This is due to the school's strict "Zero-Tolerance" policy. Attending HJ will not only make you a better student but a better person. As a graduating senior, I highly recommend Hardin-Jefferson for a good education and learning environment.
Hardin-Jefferson High School is one of the best schools I have ever attended. The teachers are wonderful and very skillful when it comes to preparing their students for college. Although the curricular activities are great, I would love to see more.