Hamden High School is an above average, public school located in Hamden, CT. It has 1,454 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 13 to 1. According to state test scores, 30% of students are at least proficient in math and 58% in reading.
Hamden High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A353 Students
- B-303 Students
- B235 Students
- B-161 Students
- B-133 Students
- A+129 Students
- A+101 Students
- A91 Students
- C+89 Students
- B84 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.46 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.46 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 155 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.50 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.50 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.50 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.62 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.62 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.62 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.63 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.63 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.63 responses
Hamden High School Reviews
Hamden High was a very diverse school. It is like a large family, including teachers, students, and faculty members. Something I wish Hamden High would include in their curriculum is more people of color curriculum. Brown and black people need a more of a voice in the classes. Also, I wish to see more diverse AP and honors classes. Overall, I consider Hamden High School to be my second home. The principal, Ms. Gannon, is a very strong, confident lady. She is there for every student and is not afraid to use her voice. She does her best to make us feel safe and welcomed at Hamden High School, greeting each student every morning by the door. Hamden High School is a school to go to if you want to meet people of all backgrounds.
At Hamden high school I was exposed to sufficient AP classes and programs that helped prepare me for the coursework of a typical college class. I was fortunate enough to play football, basketball, baseball, and track & field. With over 1500 students of various ethnicities and dozens of clubs, every student had the ability to find close friends and classmates to relate to. However, the opinions of the students was suppressed often times, and many teachers were not enthusiastic about their jobs. However, some teachers were phenomenal, offering countless hours of extra help for struggling students. The food offered was satisfactory, and there was a large selection to choose from. I enjoyed my time at Hamden High because of the friendships I made and the readiness it gave me for college.
Hamden High School is a very diverse environment with many opportunities for students to learn, be involved in activities and clubs and get prepared for future success. From academics, athletics, the arts, volunteerism and activism or other club activities, there are a wide variety of programs for all student interests and abilities. While it is true that students can slip through the cracks of this large school, for those that want to succeed, the opportunity is there and ready for the taking. I found Hamden High School to be a great place to grow, make friends and learn at a high level. I am very happy with my experience there and would highly recommend the school to anyone looking for an enriching high school experience.