Grosse Pointe South High School is an elite, public school located in Grosse Pointe Farms, MI. It has 1,671 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 19 to 1. According to state test scores, 55% of students are at least proficient in math and 80% in reading.
Grosse Pointe South High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A+286 Students
- A+275 Students
- B+124 Students
- B+113 Students
- B+90 Students
- B+62 Students
- A60 Students
- A+52 Students
- A-50 Students
- A-49 Students
Note: School map boundaries may have changed for the current school year so please contact your school district to verify school assignment for your child.
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.21 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.21 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 66 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.24 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.24 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.24 responses
Average Teacher Salary
Teachers in First/Second Year
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.36 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.36 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.36 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.42 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.42 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.42 responses
Schools like Grosse Pointe South High School
- A+Grosse Pointe North High School
- Grosse Pointe Public Schools, MI
- 236 reviews
- A+Athens High School
- Troy School District, MI
- 309 reviews
- ABerkley High School
- Berkley School District, MI
- 253 reviews
- B+Renaissance High School
- Detroit Public Schools, MI
- 812 reviews
Grosse Pointe South High School Reviews
Grosse Pointe South provides an exceptional education for all students. Even though the school isn't very diverse, they do not discriminate based on anyone's race, religion, appearence, etc. The school is very welcoming to all types of students. Teachers at this school are great; highly educated in their field and always open to answering questions and giving extra help to students in need of it. Overall Grosse Pointe South is a great high school, no wonder it is ranked so highly!
As a senior at Grosse Pointe South, I can definitely say that I've enjoyed my time at my school. For the most part it's been a pretty good experience. The students are mostly well-behaved and there is a nice community atmosphere. The teachers are kind and outgoing and overall, very well-educated on their subjects. There are some teachers who I've really connected with; they'll go out of their way to care about students' wellbeing. There is some controversy over changes in administration recently regarding school's drug policies, but I think administration is just trying to better our school. While some students do live up to the school's snotty reputation, most students are kind and intelligent and the school makes for a great learning environment. The diverse amount of AP classes and sports were things that I really appreciated in my time here.
Grosse Pointe South's academics are incredible and offer students a huge array of options. AP and honors classes are more accelerated in comparison to other schools. The elective classes options are vast, from art to show choir to pastries. Though there is a lack of diversity, students are very active in teaching their peers about the world outside of Grosse Pointe though many social clubs and groups.