Grosse Pointe South High School is a top rated, public school located in Grosse Pointe Farms, MI. It has 1,619 students in grades 8-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 18 to 1. According to state test scores, 68% of students are at least proficient in math and 88% in reading.
Grosse Pointe South High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A315 Students
- A+307 Students
- B+140 Students
- B+126 Students
- B+99 Students
- B71 Students
- A62 Students
- A+54 Students
- A-53 Students
- A-50 Students
Note: School map boundaries may have changed for the current school year so please contact your school district to verify school assignment for your child.
Living in the Area
- Crime & SafetyB
- Cost of LivingB
- Good for FamiliesA+
Median Household Income
Median Home Value
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.22 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.22 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 72 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.25 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.25 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.25 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.37 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.37 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.37 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.43 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.43 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.43 responses
Schools like Grosse Pointe South High School
- A+Grosse Pointe North High School
- Grosse Pointe Public Schools, MI
- 253 reviews
- A+Athens High School
- Troy School District, MI
- 318 reviews
- ABerkley High School
- Berkley School District, MI
- 259 reviews
- BRenaissance High School
- Detroit Public Schools, MI
- 835 reviews
Grosse Pointe South High School Reviews
GPS is a good school. There is a wide variety of classes to pick from, and what isn't in a class is most likely a club! There is basically no violence, or at least no obvious brawls on school property, and everyone is good at coexisting. That said, there can be divides between the more liberal versus conservative people that separate the students quite starkly. Overall, it is a very pleasant school and I enjoy going here!
South is fine. That’s it. When people say that South is one of the best schools in Michigan that’s strictly from an educational standpoint. There are some very good teachers (and some not as good ones) and a wide variety of courses including APs that gets most of its students ready for college. The problem is the atmosphere. School spirit is practically non existent, the football games have no student section halfway through the 3rd quarter, we can’t get 200 people to buy tickets to a snow coming dance, and no one cares about anything except partying, drinking, drugs, vaping, and sex. It’s full of stuck up, ungrateful, ignorant, definition-of-rich-white-boy-stereotype brats that don’t realize how good they have it, or do but don’t care. It’s the clique-iest school in the world and I can’t wait to leave it.
Grosse Pointe South provides an excellent path to college readiness for all of its students. It's a highly competitive school, and pushes its students to become the best people and scholars that they can be. Their wide selection of classes and amazing staff helps make the school full of amazing opportunities. There are always friends, classes, activities, and clubs for every type of person. Not only that, but South also helps their students feel safe. Their staff is also some of the most well prepared people for emergencies. GPS also has the best counselors available for students who feel like they are being picked on, or feel like they don't quite fit in. The only downside to South is that there is a lack of decent food provided in the cafeteria, but that is compensated for by the open campus lunch. Attending GPS High School has been one of the most challenging, but rewarding experiences of my life. I cannot imagine feeling anymore prepared mentally and academically.