Overall Niche Grade
- College PrepA+
- Clubs & ActivitiesA+
- Health & SafetyA+
- Resources & FacilitiesA+
Great Neck South High School is a top rated, public school located in Great Neck, NY. It has 1,222 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 11 to 1. According to state test scores, 99% of students are at least proficient in math and 98% in reading.
Great Neck South High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A+274 Students
- A+206 Students
- A-192 Students
- A-186 Students
- A+178 Students
- A+133 Students
- A+120 Students
- A+98 Students
- A+89 Students
- A79 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.25 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.25 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 40 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.28 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.28 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.28 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.36 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.36 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.36 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.33 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.33 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.33 responses
Schools like Great Neck South High School
- A+Great Neck North High School
- Great Neck Public Schools, NY
- 113 reviews
- A+Edgemont Junior/Senior High School
- Edgemont Union Free School District, NY
- 89 reviews
- A+Syosset Senior High School
- Syosset Central School District, NY
- 330 reviews
- A+Jericho Senior High School
- Jericho Union Free School District, NY
- 150 reviews
Great Neck South High School Reviews
Great Neck South is a great school! It is rather diverse and accepting of LGBTQ people. Each department is equipped with wonderful teachers who are committed to their students. The students here are typically academically motivated, but this can create a competitive and stressful environment. School spirit is practically nonexistent.
I attended Great Neck South High for my Junior and Senior year, it was great! I love the atmosphere here, and I had a lot of fun! Of course high school is stressful, but I got a lot of help when I could not do well in my classes. There's a study center tutors are available to all students, and teachers of most subjects offer extra help. A lot of clubs and activities are going on every single day! I had a really nice experience with school musicals and operas, and my talented classmates and teachers did a musical Mama Mia! within 3 months! There are performances by students almost every month as well. GNSHS also offers A LOT OF AP courses like art history and music theory while other schools don't. 10-ish teachers are doctors of different fields and they guide students to science competitions and DECA. Teachers, counselors, and administration officers are so nice and friendly! My math teacher and I became lifelong friends, which I am so happy about. The school is overall great!
Great Neck South High School is amazing! No matter the culture, food, or academics of it are all awesome! Especially the Robotics team of it! I have attended it and it is great! The robotics team named 2638 won a lot of prize over the Robot competition. Not only just Robotics, our school also have a Biology club just for Biology Olympics! The school is great for the students who would like Robotics and Biology!