Great Neck North High School is a top rated, public school located in Great Neck, NY. It has 1,088 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 11 to 1. According to state test scores, 98% of students are at least proficient in math and 98% in reading.
Great Neck North High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A+84 Students
- A77 Students
- A+75 Students
- A+48 Students
- A+47 Students
- A-44 Students
- A+33 Students
- B+32 Students
- A+32 Students
- A30 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.10 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.10 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.9 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.9 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.9 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.11 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.11 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.11 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.11 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.11 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.11 responses
Schools like Great Neck North High School
- A+Great Neck South High School
- Great Neck Public Schools, NY
- 201 reviews
- A+Syosset Senior High School
- Syosset Central School District, NY
- 306 reviews
- A+Hastings High School
- Hastings-on-Hudson Union Free School District, NY
- 96 reviews
- A+Edgemont Junior/Senior High School
- Edgemont Union Free School District, NY
- 79 reviews
Great Neck North High School Reviews
I have absolutely loved attending North! The teachers that work here are almost all above-par and excellent at not only teaching but being people who you can talk to about personal issues (the majority of them at least). The community here, while lacking in diversity, is open to those who personalize their experience and time at North. In addition, the clubs, activities, and sports offered are expansive and give everyone the opportunity to explore their true passions (if you don't find the club you want, make a new one). Personally, the grade culture was very united so that everyone, no matter if you were a nerd or a jock, communicated and interacted. But if you ever feel lost in your grade's culture, you can still find new homes in the clubs, activities, and sports you participate in. Finally, North supplies its students with SO many resources, from iPads to helpful guidance counselors. Created by the students, North is truly a special place- treasure the time you spend here.
As a younger student, my parents chose to move the family to the Great Neck school district to ensure a better education. North High is the culmination of this choice, one I can now say was definitively for the better. Though resources are excellent, and activities are very diverse, the high point of the school is the faculty, who (mostly) strive for a complete education for their students, especially those who reciprocate. North offers students multiple options, from education rigor to subjects of electives, to club offerings, and a relatively sane administration and PTA ensure that the school is heading in an even better direction for the future. For me, North is more than I could expect in a high school education—and one that helped me cash in my "million-dollar check" of potential.
Overall, I really love Great Neck North in the sense that I have access to so many opportunities in the world of academia as well as extracurriculars such as science research and sports. However, there are times where I feel as though my high school experience would be richer if I were to go to another school. For instance, there is a lack of opportunities for demonstrating school spirit. While we have pep rallies, spirit week, and battle, we don't have fundamental events like school dances or widely-advertised sports games. Even the homecoming didn't have a dance or a football team. Even so, I consider myself lucky to be attending this school, because of the opportunities I have been given and the experiences I have been exposed to in the world of academia, such as a great science program and extensive AP preparation.