Overall Niche Grade
- College PrepA-
- Clubs & ActivitiesC
- Health & SafetyA+
- Resources & FacilitiesC+
Grand River Preparatory High School is a highly rated, public, charter school located in Grand Rapids, MI. It has 625 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 20 to 1. According to state test scores, 37% of students are at least proficient in math and 72% in reading.
Grand River Preparatory High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- B+208 Students
- A167 Students
- A+118 Students
- B-106 Students
- C+95 Students
- B90 Students
- B+90 Students
- A-72 Students
- B-58 Students
- C+45 Students
Note: School map boundaries may have changed for the current school year so please contact your school district to verify school assignment for your child.
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.21 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.21 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.24 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.24 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.24 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.33 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.33 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.33 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.38 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.38 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.38 responses
Grand River Preparatory High School Reviews
Grand River Preparatory High School, in just a few words, is a diverse, challenging, and friendly experience. The school is very diverse, with people of all ethnicity and all cultures found in great proportion to the whole population of the school. The school challenges you to do the best you can by requiring that you take and pass two AP classes and volunteering for 60 hours. There is a wide array of available AP classes, allowing you to have freedom in choosing what will suit your interests. In addition, to graduate, you must be accepted to an accredited 4-year college or university to ensure you can succeed should you choose to go to college. What could change for the better is the seriousness of completing work on time. Almost every class accepts late work, and many give no severe penalties (greater than 10% deduction). The school has most popular sports, the ones missing being football and baseball. Altogether, it has been a great experience and there are no regrets.
Grand River Preparatory High School excels in academics. They offer a wide variety of AP courses. They also partner with Davenport University to offer dual enrollment opportunities. The staff is willing to stay after or before school to tutor and answer questions. I compare with other schools in the area and the only faults I see in Grand River Prep comes down to sports. Sports are almost intramural. They do not have ceremonies or praise sports. This is an academic focused high school. If you plan to go to colleges or universities after high school, I would definitely recommend this school to all that question me.
My experience at Grand River Prep was amazing. My staff I found to be some of my best friends and supporters while also teaching subjects they all seemed to love. I had the blessing of going to this school and academically achieving great things do to, in large part, the dedicated teachers. I played three sports and would have loved to see the students at my school fill the bleachers in support. Unfortunately I can’t say that ever happened. This is a great school academically. I just wish it could find more pride.