Godwin Heights Senior High School is a public school located in Grand Rapids, MI. It has 660 students in grades 8-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 21 to 1. According to state test scores, 12% of students are at least proficient in math and 42% in reading.
Godwin Heights Senior High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- B+127 Students
- B111 Students
- C+93 Students
- B+91 Students
- A+84 Students
- A+64 Students
- B+53 Students
- C+37 Students
- A36 Students
- B-35 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.6 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.6 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.7 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.7 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.7 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.12 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.12 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.12 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.10 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.10 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.10 responses
Schools like Godwin Heights Senior High School
- B-Wyoming High School
- Wyoming Public Schools, MI
- 77 reviews
- C+Kelloggsville High School
- Kelloggsville Public Schools, MI
- 66 reviews
- CLee High School
- Godfrey-Lee Public Schools, MI
- 131 reviews
- BComstock Park High School
- Comstock Park Public Schools, MI
- 56 reviews
Godwin Heights Senior High School Reviews
I give this school a 7 out of 10. If I had kids, I personally wouldn't send them here if Godwin is still the same as it is today; because this school has lower expectations for students. Students learn better from books, not computers. So moving the library to the top floor in a smaller room is a very dumb move. There's a great family atmosphere in this school, an award-winning marching band, an awesome basketball team, and many other great sports. This school has a lot to offer, but when it comes to academics, the expectations are way too low, leading to students not being fully prepared to go to college, to low SAT scores. Godwin just started to implement exams, so that is a good sign for improvement. The state of Michigan removed Godwin from the priority status, which means that school is going the right direction. There is more room to improve, but if the expectations are still the same or worse when I have kids, then I wouldn't consider sending my future kids here.
The things I like about this school is the diversity everyone has. You’ll see at lunch the groups of different culture come together and become friends. I like that the teachers try their best to cheer up everyone at school. There’s never one teacher that doesn’t have a smile on their face. Even when they’re having a bad day, they try to not show it so the students like me dont feel unwelcomed in their class. My experience at Godwin was pretty good. I made great frienships. I can actually feel that I belong. The only bad thing about Godwin is the food. Everyone is complaining about the food some days is over cooked or some days is not even cooked. But overall they have pretty amazing staff.
Teachers expect kids to be perfect - sit still, no talking, expecting kids to "get it" the first time something is explained. Remember back teachers. What were you like? Be honest with yourself. Why do our kids have to compete with Japan's kids? This is America. Kids learn differently, they are not all the same. Some kids have behavior issues - maybe if you took them under your wing and mentored them their behavior would improve. They NEED good attention. Focus on the good and teach the kids to do the same. Use common sense and be leaders! If you swear, they will swear.