Gettysburg Area High School is a highly rated, public school located in Gettysburg, PA. It has 1,054 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 13 to 1. According to state test scores, 77% of students are at least proficient in math and 83% in reading.
Gettysburg Area High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A+68 Students
- A57 Students
- B39 Students
- B-37 Students
- A+35 Students
- B30 Students
- A-30 Students
- A29 Students
- B-27 Students
- B+26 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.15 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.15 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.15 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.15 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.15 responses
Average Teacher Salary
Teachers in First/Second Year
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.23 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.23 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.23 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.26 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.26 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.26 responses
Schools like Gettysburg Area High School
- A-South Western Senior High School
- South Western School District, PA
- 127 reviews
- BNew Oxford Senior High School
- Conewago Valley School District, PA
- 249 reviews
- BBermudian Springs High School
- Bermudian Springs School District, PA
- 87 reviews
- BLittlestown Senior High School
- Littlestown Area School District, PA
- 83 reviews
Gettysburg Area High School Reviews
Gettysburg High School has so many varieties of classes and extra-curricular activities. This school provides dual enrollment for college-in-highschool students. I currently am participating in the Law Enforcement college class and the experience I am gaining isn't parallel to any high school I have seen. Also, unlike many high schools, Gettysburg provides a Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps class to teach discipline, leadership, and teamwork to students. This class participates in competitions, service learning, and community service to better integrate the students into real-life scenarios to apply the leadership skills they have learned. The relationship between student and teacher is another aspect of Gettysburg High. It is a wonderful thing, knowing you can comfortably approach a teacher or administrator with a question, concern, or just to make conversation, without fear of being disregarded in any sense.
Gettysburg is a good school, but like every other school, it has its downsides. Some teachers take their jobs too seriously and end up yelling at the class for the smallest things. Other teachers seem to not care about the job and only want to be friends. But certain teachers stand out, like our computer science teachers who treat all students as adults and understand how technology changes very quickly. Our English department is strong but our math is where many teachers fail. Our food tastes like dirt and is pricey, many students are disrespectful but just as many are respectful. Overall its a decent school but it has its fair share of problems.
As a Gettysburg Area High School senior, I am in the mist of trying to prepare for college. Gettysburg Area High School offers plenty of programs to prepare you for secondary education including Tech Prep Programs, AP courses, HACC duel enrollement, HACC in the high school, and accelerated courses, all of which I have taken advantage of. Most of the AP teachers are amazing and give you the confidence and tools you need to pass the exam to earn college credit. All of the HACC courses are rigorous and challenging which ultimately prepare you for college as well as earn you college credit. The school offeres a multitude of sports which are highly promoted throughout the year. They also offer many clubs including key club and student council which allowed me to complete thirty hours of community service each year. Spirit week is fun and most of the students are accepting making it a good and exciting environment to be and learn in.