Overall Niche Grade
- Academicsgrade A+
- Diversitygrade B+
- Teachersgrade A minus
- College Prepgrade A+
- Clubs & Activitiesgrade A+
- Health & Safetygrade A
- Administrationgrade A minus
- Sportsgrade A minus
- Foodgrade A minus
- Resources & Facilitiesgrade A
George W. Hewlett High School is a top rated, public school located in Hewlett, NY. It has 1,039 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 11 to 1. According to state test scores, 96% of students are at least proficient in math and 99% in reading.
George W. Hewlett High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Percent Proficient - Reading
Percent Proficient - Math
Average Graduation Rate
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- grade A minus172 Students
- grade A+162 Students
- grade A minus140 Students
- grade A+132 Students
- grade A+124 Students
- grade B+114 Students
- grade B110 Students
- grade A82 Students
- grade B78 Students
- grade A+75 Students
Note: School map boundaries may have changed for the current school year so please contact your school district to verify school assignment for your child.
Living in the Area
Overall Niche Grade
- Cost of Livinggrade C minus
- Good for Familiesgrade A+
- Housinggrade C+
Median Household Income
Median Home Value
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school. 21 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there. 21 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 65 responses
- Cabaret night15%
- Pep rally12%
- Sports night12%
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive. 23 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy. 23 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic. 23 responses
Average Teacher Salary
Teachers in First/Second Year
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons. 37 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students. 37 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom. 37 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
$34,115 / year
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in. 39 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need. 39 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations. 39 responses
Schools like George W. Hewlett High School
- grade A+Paul D. Schreiber Senior High School
- Port Washington Union Free School District, NY
- Rating 3.95 out of 5 229 reviews
- grade ASouth Side High School
- Rockville Centre Union Free School District, NY
- Rating 3.75 out of 5 193 reviews
- grade A+Wheatley School
- East Williston Union Free School District, NY
- Rating 4.07 out of 5 102 reviews
- grade A+Plainview-Old Bethpage John F. Kennedy High School
- Plainview-Old Bethpage Central School District, NY
- Rating 3.75 out of 5 259 reviews
George W. Hewlett High School Reviews
Rating 4.06 out of 5 195 reviews
Selecting a category below will take you to another page
My experience at George W Hewlett High School is basically average. I can have many bad things to say about the school but at the end of the day, there is no other high school I can go to and feel happy the way I feel happy at Hewlett High School. The academic and curriculum that the amazing teachers teach is very advanced and is not offered everywhere. There are so many opportunities for you to get help from teachers, and students around you. Although academically the school is great, there is a lack of diversity in the school. Granted that the school is located in a predominantly white Jewish area, there is still a lack of acceptance of people different color, ethnicity and religion by the STUDENTS. The campus itself is relatively large for a school and the food offered at the school is gross. But I guess that’s how every school’s food is. The idea of letting students leave to go out for lunch is a great idea because it allows students to get some air and interact with people.
Administration cares minimally about the students, and so often our facilities and whatnot are not taken care of. Nonetheless, a wide variety of classes are offered. Some of the classes have highly talented teachers able to teach the material well and connect well with the students - others, not as much, and the school refuses to listen to student complaints about these teachers. Our STEM department is particularly strong, however, especially the science research program.
Overall, I feel that my four years at Hewlett will prepare me greatly for college and beyond. The teachers implement a rigorous and challenging curriculum that teaches students a well rounded work ethics, and cater to students needs. However, there is a significant lack of diversity. Students who are perceived by others to not “fit in” are ostracized. This leads to a significant issue with mental health. The school needs to do more with diversity training, and mental health awareness. More assemblies on the subjects should be held for the general school public.