Overall Niche Grade
- College PrepC+
- Clubs & ActivitiesC-
- Health & SafetyB-
- Resources & FacilitiesC-
General Brown Junior/Senior High School is a public school located in Dexter, NY. It has 620 students in grades 7-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 15 to 1. According to state test scores, 62% of students are at least proficient in math and 64% in reading.
General Brown Junior/Senior High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- C37 Students
- B15 Students
- B-15 Students
- B+14 Students
- A-13 Students
- A-13 Students
- A+12 Students
- A12 Students
- B+11 Students
- B+11 Students
Note: School map boundaries may have changed for the current school year so please contact your school district to verify school assignment for your child.
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.7 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.7 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 27 responses
- Pep rally26%
- Theater performance22%
- Spirit Week11%
- Pep rallies7%
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.10 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.10 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.10 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.10 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.10 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.10 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.9 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.9 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.9 responses
Schools like General Brown Junior/Senior High School
- B-Thousand Islands High School
- Thousand Islands Central School District, NY
- 40 reviews
- BSouth Jefferson High School
- South Jefferson Central School District, NY
- 89 reviews
- C+La Fargeville Central School
- LaFargeville Central School District, NY
- PK, K-12
- 14 reviews
- B-Watertown Senior High School
- Watertown City School District, NY
- 121 reviews
General Brown Junior/Senior High School Reviews
No one is really sure what the counseling department does and the rules are ridiculous and enforced sporadically. There’s a three minute time limit to use the bathroom and the school locks all but one of the bathrooms if someone gets caught vaping, which gets frustrating since only one person is allowed to sign out to the bathroom at a time. Bullying runs rampant, there’s been a fight every day this week, and the workload is so intense most of the senior class is having a breakdown. We apparently have a school psychologist no one’s heard about, which about sums up the school’s focus on mental health—appear to help but actually just ignore our problems. This website says AP offered, but it’s actually just AP Bio. Also, many staff members show blatant favoritism. Students aren’t given much guidance or choice in their academic plans. However, many teachers are great and a few are nothing short of inspirational and are way too good for this place.
My experience so far at General Brown has been an average one. I am a student that dables in almost everything that the school has to offer, but most of the things I do are under funded so we are not able to do some of the things we wish to do. The administrasion and teachers are great and are willing to go above and beyond to help students with anythiing they might need help with. I wish we had more technology and designing courses because as of right now we only have one that high schoolers can take.
Administration will make you lose your mind. General lack of interest in the academic success from the people in charge, but the teachers will cut off an arm if it’ll help you pass. Football is the school’s number one priority, then stopping drug use, then academics. 10/10 recommend being an athlete or one of the “smart kids” for the special treatment; you’ll get away with murder while other students are punished for being bullied. Be careful not to use the bathroom too often or the staff will harass you and assume you’re vaping. But hey, there’s a whole AP course and quite a few college classes you aren’t allowed to take until your senior year, and most of the teachers are fantastic and too good for this place.