Freeland Middle/High School
- FREELAND, MI
Overall Niche Grade
- Academicsgrade B+
- Diversitygrade C
- Teachersgrade B
- College Prepgrade B
- Clubs & Activitiesgrade C+
- Health & Safetygrade B
- Administrationgrade C+
- Sportsgrade A
- Foodgrade B minus
- Resources & Facilitiesgrade C
Freeland Middle/High School is an above average, public school located in FREELAND, MI. It has 881 students in grades 7-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 21 to 1. According to state test scores, 51% of students are at least proficient in math and 67% in reading.
Freeland Middle/High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Percent Proficient - Reading
Percent Proficient - Math
Average Graduation Rate
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- grade B186 Students
- grade A134 Students
- grade B minus133 Students
- grade B132 Students
- grade B+93 Students
- grade B+73 Students
- grade A+71 Students
- grade B minus67 Students
- grade A41 Students
- grade B minus33 Students
Map is loading
View Homes Near Freeland Middle/High School
Note: School map boundaries may have changed for the current school year so please contact your school district to verify school assignment for your child.
Living in the Area
Overall Niche Grade
- Cost of Livinggrade B+
- Good for Familiesgrade B+
- Housinggrade A minus
Median Household Income
Median Home Value
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school. 8 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there. 8 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 14 responses
- School dances43%
- The sporting events are well attended43%
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive. 11 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy. 11 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic. 11 responses
Average Teacher Salary
Teachers in First/Second Year
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons. 13 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students. 13 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom. 13 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
$9,480 / year
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in. 15 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need. 15 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations. 15 responses
Schools like Freeland Middle/High School
- grade B+Swan Valley High School
- Swan Valley School District, MI
- Rating 3.99 out of 5 108 reviews
- grade BBay City Western High School
- Bay City School District, MI
- Rating 3.54 out of 5 222 reviews
- grade B minusJohn Glenn High School
- Bangor Township Schools, MI
- Rating 3.85 out of 5 151 reviews
- grade B minusBullock Creek High School
- Bullock Creek School District, MI
- Rating 3.22 out of 5 100 reviews
Freeland Middle/High School Reviews
Rating 3.8 out of 5 97 reviews
Selecting a category below will take you to another page
Thinking back to my high school years, I'd like to see the district add on more classrooms. Most to all of my classes were overloaded with students and there wasn't enough space to move around. This year I wasn't impacted as much because of Covid-19 and learning from home. Next, I'd like to see how district off more college readiness programs. Being the first member in my family to go to college, it was eye opening of all the things that are expectations upon us seniors. The school didn't provide much guidance on how to apply to colleges, how to fill out financial aid or where to find scholarships. My parents and I had to learn as we go. On the positive side, our school has a great parent involvement. Our PTO provides many fun events to our student body and community and are always offering their support. Next, our school lunches are fantastic! They offer many great and healthy options especially pizza from our local restaurant! Overall, I had a good experience at Freeland High.
The entire Freeland community supports the school district, students and teachers. Through volunteer and financial assistance the community is committed to creating a positive influence on the students. With a staff of dedicated teachers and administrators from Pre-K through high school, they strive to create a diversified teaching environment and prepare the students for post-high school academics. Freeland is building future leaders through opportunities available on student council, NHS, Freeland Scholars, sports teams, music programs, early college and the Bay Arenac Skill Center. From an early age students are encouraged to develop their interests and guide their education to become successful adults in any career path that suits their interest. They are encouraged to be themselves and ‘Be The Change’ in the Freeland community school district.
The majority of teachers and staff members are kind and fairly easy to talk to. However, communication among staff and teachers throughout the school is a mess more times than not, even staff and teachers joke about how bad it is. Also, many students make it difficult to actually be exposed to a teacher's "good" side, so many people have different opinions on the same teacher, either because of their individual behavior or the general behavior of their class. Other than that it's a pretty good school.