Elk Point-Jefferson High School is an above average, public school located in Elk Point, SD. It has 185 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 13 to 1. According to state test scores, 55% of students are at least proficient in math and 65% in reading.
Elk Point-Jefferson High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- B73 Students
- B+70 Students
- B-27 Students
- B18 Students
- A+18 Students
- B-17 Students
- A17 Students
- A16 Students
- A-15 Students
- B15 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.10 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.10 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 35 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.8 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.8 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.8 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.11 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.11 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.11 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.12 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.12 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.12 responses
Schools like Elk Point-Jefferson High School
- B+Akron Westfield Senior High School
- Akron Westfield Community School District, IA
- 69 reviews
- A-Dakota Valley High School
- Dakota Valley School District, SD
- 35 reviews
- B+Ponca High School
- Ponca Public Schools, NE
- 11 reviews
- B-Vermillion High School
- Vermillion School District, SD
- 64 reviews
Elk Point-Jefferson High School Reviews
I like Elk Point-Jefferson High School because it is a very clean and well-kept school. The reason I didn't give it the full five stars is because I believe that the students should be given more freedom. For example, juniors and seniors, who take online dual credit classes, should be able to stay at home during that specific period. This will make for a shorter amount of time spent in the physical school building, and it will result in focused class time. I believe this change will help students focus because sometimes all we need is a change in scenery in order to get back into the learning mindset. The best way to get students to focus is to give them a mental break. Otherwise, the students feel trapped for eight hours with no other choice other than to sit, listen, and hopefully retain information. The other positive this change would bring is preparedness for college. It will help students understand the importance of time management.
EPJ is such an accepting school that was a perfect fit for me. While I may not have gotten along with all of the students there, the teachers and administration at EPJ provide a very supportive, family-like atmosphere that allows for every student to fulfill their potential if they choose to do so. Of course, there will always be slackers just like there are in every other school, but the teachers at EPJ have incredibly high expectations and push every student to do their best in their classes. My high school days at EPJ were a blast! (And the girls' basketball team was pretty darn good too ;) )
The teachers and staff members are very involved with the student life whether it is with family, school, or just there is a student has a question. They show life examples and teach lessons that each student may come across in life. All the teachers and staff members (volunteered included) show passion and heart every day while teaching and inspire many students to bring education outside the classroom.