East Lyme High School is a highly rated, public school located in East Lyme, CT. It has 1,019 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 11 to 1. According to state test scores, 59% of students are at least proficient in math and 88% in reading.
East Lyme High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A260 Students
- A+83 Students
- B-82 Students
- B82 Students
- B72 Students
- A71 Students
- B-66 Students
- B-63 Students
- A+47 Students
- B-39 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.26 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.26 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.31 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.31 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.31 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.40 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.40 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.40 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.46 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.46 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.46 responses
Schools like East Lyme High School
- A-East Lyme Middle School
- East Lyme School District, CT
- 7 reviews
- A-Valley Regional High School
- Regional School District No. 4, CT
- 107 reviews
- B+Westbrook High School
- Westbrook School District, CT
- 52 reviews
- A-Lyme-Old Lyme High School
- Regional School District No. 18, CT
- 48 reviews
East Lyme High School Reviews
I had a pretty adequate time at East Lyme. These reviews are correct in that there is a culture of apathy, and ELHS is a very white school. Some people LOVE it though. I got kind of depressed my last two years (me issues, not school issues), so it got a lot less fun, but I bet I would've had an above average time if I hadn't gotten depressed. Coming to college I felt pretty prepared, because I was able to take a ton of science and math APs, and I earned sophomore status the second semester of my freshman year! My only real qualms with the academics are that they can totally add more APs, like Computer Science and World History or Geography, but don't for stupid administrative reasons. Like we can only take AP Economics online wtf. Nevertheless, I can't say my education was bad, just adequate.
East Lyme High School is what you make it. There are pockets of the community that are incredibly extra and dramatic, and sure there are of course our stereotypical rich brats- but most of us are down to earth and there to get into college. Compared to many schools in the area, ELHS gives it's students the freedom to really dig into their interests through their large selection of extracurriculars and elective courses. Interested in marine biology? We have a course! TV broadcasting in a school of 1500? We have that too! Sure, you may have to take exams for classes like choir but it is so worth it. People move here for the schools- this place gets you ready for college.
We really do have fantastic teachers and great, clean facilities. Teachers who are anything less than stellar are very rare and tend to be older, so they will soon retire. The food is much better than most. I only deduct one star for the environment — while most are extremely accepting of anyone no matter what, the few who are rude or say slurs are not punished harshly enough. They punish more harshly for drug use than bullying. That being said, the counseling is the true highlight of this school. Every single person in the counseling and social work department is a gem.