East Grand Rapids High School Rankings
Niche ranks over 14,000 public high schools based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A+106 Students
- A+102 Students
- B57 Students
- A+36 Students
- A-33 Students
- A+30 Students
- A27 Students
- C+26 Students
- A24 Students
- B+24 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.13 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.13 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 44 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.15 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.15 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.15 responses
Average Teacher Salary
Teachers in First/Second Year
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.28 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.28 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.28 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on expenses per student, number of sports offered, and student and parent reviews.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.29 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.29 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.29 responses
East Grand Rapids High School Reviews
Review East Grand Rapids High School
Although East Grand Rapids gets a reputation of "The Bubble", the overall experience from the past two years has been good compared to what I have heard from students who go to neighbouring schools (Forest Hills, Lowell, Grand Rapids Christian, etc.). The curriculum is very centred around the student. With guidance counsellors to help you choose classes, you really set your own pace. The teachers here, with some exceptions, deeply care about not only your grades but your mental stability as well. There are signs around the school and in classrooms reading, "You are Safe Here". East Grand Rapids also is preparing me for college. Most students here pursue the path to go to college, and the school helps prepare them. With AP classes available and programmes like IB and KCTC, it is easy to get college credit at a fraction of the price. They have a great athletic program, but always put academics first. Their pool and weight room are state-of-the-art.
Every high school student, at some point, complains about one or more of their teachers due to being frustrated with their teaching or grading styles: that is a given. And yes, I have partaken in said activity more than a few times. However, it has not been until recently that I have realized what truly dedicated and caring teachers EGRHS hires; talking to other students from all around Michigan that struggle with unmotivated mentors has opened my eyes to the genuine quality of the staff at East. Although they may teach a scarcely diverse/extremely sheltered group of suburban teenagers, they expand the bubble that is EGR and broaden our intelectual scope through interesting lectures and occasionally discussions. Every teacher gives far more than is expected of them, nevertheless, the dullness of daily lessons could be spiced up and more applicable to real life situations.
East is one of the top high schools in Michigan, so I definitely received a great education from there. The student life however, wasn't so great. I spent every year there wishing I was in college and counting down the days until I left. That's why I looking to go to the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, so I can escape the norm of East students going to Michigan colleges, and that's why I'm applying to so many scholarships, so I can pay for Illinois.