Earl L. Vandermeulen High School
- PORT JEFFERSON, NY
Overall Niche Grade
- Academicsgrade A
- Diversitygrade B minus
- Teachersgrade A
- College Prepgrade A minus
- Clubs & Activitiesgrade B minus
- Health & Safetygrade A
- Administrationgrade A minus
- Sportsgrade B+
- Foodgrade B
- Resources & Facilitiesgrade B
Earl L. Vandermeulen High School is a highly rated, public school located in PORT JEFFERSON, NY. It has 357 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 8 to 1. According to state test scores, 95% of students are at least proficient in math and 95% in reading.
Earl L. Vandermeulen High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Percent Proficient - Reading
Percent Proficient - Math
Average Graduation Rate
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- grade A minus60 Students
- grade A+44 Students
- grade A+43 Students
- grade A+40 Students
- grade A minus38 Students
- grade A+25 Students
- grade A+22 Students
- grade A21 Students
- grade A+21 Students
- grade B21 Students
Map is loading
View Homes Near Earl L. Vandermeulen High School
Note: School map boundaries may have changed for the current school year so please contact your school district to verify school assignment for your child.
Living in the Area
Overall Niche Grade
- Cost of Livinggrade C minus
- Good for Familiesgrade A+
- Housinggrade C+
Median Household Income
Median Home Value
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school. 10 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there. 10 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 14 responses
- Prom, clubs, and homecoming57%
- Athletic Events14%
grade B minus
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive. 11 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy. 11 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic. 11 responses
Average Teacher Salary
Teachers in First/Second Year
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons. 12 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students. 12 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom. 12 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
grade B minus
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
$35,574 / year
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in. 14 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need. 14 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations. 14 responses
Schools like Earl L. Vandermeulen High School
- grade ANorthport Senior High School
- Northport-East Northport Union Free School District, NY
- Rating 3.72 out of 5 218 reviews
- grade A+Ward Melville Senior High School
- Three Village Central School District, NY
- Rating 3.75 out of 5 466 reviews
- grade AMount Sinai High School
- Mount Sinai School District, NY
- Rating 3.81 out of 5 130 reviews
- grade ASmithtown High School East
- Smithtown Central School District, NY
- Rating 3.79 out of 5 227 reviews
Earl L. Vandermeulen High School Reviews
Rating 3.42 out of 5 99 reviews
Selecting a category below will take you to another page
I like the small school environment and how close all the students are with the faculty. It's hard being in the same school with everyone since pre-school and then seeing kids you were friends with when you were 6 be so judge mental of others. I definitely wish the school was a little bigger because if you get in a fight or lose some of your friends, there's not really like a different group you can join to move on since the school is so tiny. But the small town atmosphere is always very comforting and its nice to know the names of every single person in your grade.
Opportunity galore. Everybody looks out for each other (because it's small, people know each other). Very easy to get involved in clubs/sports. The teachers are friendly and helpful. School lunch just got a lot better. Never any fistfights, not a lot of people get in trouble in general. Unfortunate lack of school spirit excluding Homecoming. Guidance staff is helpful in preparing you for college if that's the path you want to take (even with a small school size, there are still lots of classes offered and it's somewhat easy to get the classes you want). You will get out of ELVHS what you put into it. Very happy I have the chance to attend here.
I liked the friendliness of the staff. However, I feel that with it being a small school the students don’t get as many opportunities in classes as there aren’t as many different extracurricular classes other schools provide.