No matter the age or stage at which a child joins the Durham Academy community, the DA experience is a foundation built not only on academic excellence, but a worldview infused with empathy, kindness, integrity, responsibility and courage; a life filled with curiosity, engagement, authenticity, joy and balance; and a future forged with creativity, drive, resilience, generosity and wisdom.
That starts at the Preschool and Lower School, where teachers create a warm, welcoming environment that launches a love of learning and a lifetime of intellectual curiosity. In Middle School, students start their path to maturity, discovering their talents and inspirations and developing the values and habits that help them along their journey. Upper Schoolers immerse themselves in their passions, with a flexible, diverse curriculum and dedicated faculty that challenges and supports them as thinkers and young adults.
Durham Academy Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A+108 Students
- A+79 Students
- B+48 Students
- A+36 Students
- A+35 Students
- A+33 Students
- B+26 Students
- A+26 Students
- A+24 Students
- A+24 Students
Culture & Safety
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.9 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.9 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.12 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.12 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.12 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.15 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.15 responses
Clubs & Activities
- We don't have enough responses to know if students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.Take our survey
- We don't have enough responses to know if students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.Take our survey
- We don't have enough responses to know if students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.Take our survey
More opinions are needed!
Write a review to add yours.Review Durham Academy
Durham Academy Reviews
The headmaster is very receptive. Admissions is diversity first, qualifications second. The Lower School lacked leadership and is a fiefdom among teachers. The Middle School was FANTASTIC. The Upper School/ high school was good but lost its culture (Most of the social and athletic students flee DA after 8th grade or freshman year thus leaving a void).
Be prepared to know that DA is beyond liberal and discourages conservative thoughts (Example: Teachers at the Lower School colluded and decided to wear black to mourn the 2016 election results.) College placement for the "average student" isn't much better than the local high schools, which makes you wonder is the school really worth the $200,000+ per kid for K-12? My children were average students, athletic and social. In hindsight, DA was not the right school for them.