Overall Niche Grade
- College PrepB+
- Clubs & ActivitiesB
- Health & SafetyC+
- Resources & FacilitiesC+
Durango High School is a highly rated, public school located in Durango, CO. It has 1,159 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 16 to 1. According to state test scores, 46% of students are at least proficient in math and 53% in reading.
Durango High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A-227 Students
- B-225 Students
- A-201 Students
- A-112 Students
- B80 Students
- A-77 Students
- C+76 Students
- B+69 Students
- B-68 Students
- A+65 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.14 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.14 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 34 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.17 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.17 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.17 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.23 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.23 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.23 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.24 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.24 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.24 responses
Durango High School Reviews
Durango High School has gifted me with an incredible high school experience. The school has worked hard over the last four years to add as many challenging classes as possible. The school has greatly increased AP enrollment along with other classes in collaboration with Pueblo Community College and Fort Lewis College. Staff works hard to help you succeed, and students are oftentimes supportive of each other. As for clubs and activities, there are many different ways to get involved. While attendance at sporting events other than football sometimes lacks, students generally like to get involved with whatever is going on. Administration, staff, and students are working hard to make every kid feel that they belong, the staff knows their students and continue to stay in touch for years to come. Very thankful for all DHS has done to prepare me for my future!
I felt like learning was average. Some teachers were really good others were terrible and let their political beliefs get in the way. I also had some teachers I am convinced didn’t like me and would give me lower grades even though my work was just as good or better than other students. The language arts teachers sucked, I had 3 different teachers in one year because they couldn’t keep the teachers around. I like how they offered AP classes so that I could challenge myself. The activities are pretty good, students council does a good job of arranging fun events. I have to say the college prep is terrible! I felt like they didn’t prepare us at all for applying for college, they should have been more educated on what to inform us and when. Overall DHS was good except for some issues but I got into college so I guess that’s good.
Overall, Durango High School is a decent, average, high school. The people are amazing! The students are for the most part really supportive of each other. The sports culture is really strong as is the culture and involvement with theatre and other art programs. I would like to see some changes in administration, but mostly in the district's administration (not just that of the high school).