Dunellen High School is an above average, public school located in Dunellen, NJ. It has 372 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 12 to 1. According to state test scores, 18% of students are at least proficient in math and 50% in reading.
Dunellen High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A55 Students
- B36 Students
- B-30 Students
- A-27 Students
- A-23 Students
- B20 Students
- A-19 Students
- B+18 Students
- B-17 Students
- B17 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- We don't have enough responses to know if students agree that they feel safe at their school.Take our survey
- We don't have enough responses to know if students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.Take our survey
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.5 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.5 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.5 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.8 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.8 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.8 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.9 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.9 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.9 responses
Schools like Dunellen High School
- B-Middlesex County Vocational & Technical School (MCVTS) - East Brunswick
- Middlesex County Vocational & Technical School District, NJ
- 67 reviews
- B-Manville High School
- Manville Board of Education, NJ
- 112 reviews
- A-South Plainfield High School
- South Plainfield School District, NJ
- 204 reviews
- B-North Plainfield High School
- North Plainfield School District, NJ
- 164 reviews
Dunellen High School Reviews
In my freshmen year, the building was old fashioned and dirty most of the time. Teachers for the most part were nice but others were rude and critical. They would be too judgmental and unsympathetic towards the students and it made situations worse. This does not help students excel in the future and the school should take some time to properly interview teachers. Now that I am a senior, the school has changed physically with security which everyone appreciates. But should still focus on providing general academics to students before they graduate, like more discussions about college/universities/ scholarships, other job careers to partake in because school is not for everybody, secrets to success and how to properly use money to buy a house/car (dealerships)/ bills/taxes. Sometimes help is not always available for questions like these, teachers will tell you just look it up online. That is not helpful and shows there is no partnership between teachers and students.
Dunellen High School consists of well-educated teachers that do truly care about the students and provide extra help for any student. There is a good variety of courses to take and overall produces many successful students that will blossom. The clubs are limited and the funding is not provided equally, yet the Dunellen students always turn their clubs into something great with the materials they are given. Throughout my experience at Dunellen High School, I have met many people and participated in almost everything Dunellen High School offers. I have benefitted by seeing the diversity of people and it has given me the knowledge to further my education and my experiences. Although some experiences were challenging, there were teachers and peers around to boost my confidence and encourage me. My overall experience there provided astounding education. Plus all the hardships and problems that came to me during my four years have prepared me for adult life.
Dunellen has small class sizes so if a student needs assistance, the majority of the teachers make themselves available. What would be an improvement would be to diversify the teaching staff to mirror the demographics of the area, and to provide more courses that align to future business needs for students who are doing a college preparatory curriculum.