Dr. Ronald E. McNair Academic High School is a top rated, public, magnet school located in Jersey City, NJ. It has 685 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 12 to 1. According to state test scores, 89% of students are at least proficient in math and 98% in reading.
Dr. Ronald E. McNair Academic High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A376 Students
- A+224 Students
- A-148 Students
- A+131 Students
- A+123 Students
- A+119 Students
- A+112 Students
- B+109 Students
- A+109 Students
- A+107 Students
Note: School map boundaries may have changed for the current school year so please contact your school district to verify school assignment for your child.
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.30 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.30 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 120 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.35 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.35 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.35 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.38 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.38 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.38 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.40 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.40 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.40 responses
Schools like Dr. Ronald E. McNair Academic High School
- A+Bergen County Technical High School - Teterboro
- Public School
- Teterboro, NJ
- 201 reviews
- A+Montclair High School
- Montclair Public Schools, NJ
- 333 reviews
- AYonkers High School
- Yonkers City School District, NY
- 981 reviews
- A+Bergen County Academies
- Public School
- Hackensack, NJ
- 456 reviews
Dr. Ronald E. McNair Academic High School Reviews
McNair High School is a mosaic of cultural diversity unmatched to any other institution where students embrace different ethnicities through clubs that bring awareness to minority groups. McNair was named the #1 high school in New Jersey and it truly lives up to its name. The curriculum is rigorous -- offering almost every AP course -- and prepares students well for college. This year, students were accepted to Yale, Princeton, Cornell, Columbia and MIT. The teachers at McNair are what make the experience. They are the most caring individuals who work incredibly hard to make sure all students are taught to the highest of standards. Teachers stay after school until 8pm (all without pay too) to help students with their research projects in preparation for the annual county science fair. They truly love their job and students. Despite our accomplishments, we are a poorly funded school in dire need of better facilities.
I love the diversity and unique culture you can find here at McNair! It's hard to find that type of experience elsewhere. However, we are severely underfunded. The bathroom facilities never work, the door handles break off and there are multiple classrooms where the paint job is unfinished or even peeling off but the district does nothing to help.
I love the diversity at Dr. Ronald E. McNair Academic. It truly creates a melting pot of cultures in the middle of downtown Jersey City, directly across the Hudson River from New York. Attending this school is a great privilege. Being the number one school is the state is an advantage because we numerous academic resources. For instance, over 25 AP classes are offered. This allows students to challenge themselves. With that being said, since it is a public school, funding is not great. The athletics aren't too strong, but in the academic perspective, the school is magnificent. One thing I would change would be the college readiness. Despite being academically prepared (as alumni confirmed), the process isn't so clear until we are already seniors. This gives us less time to process information and pace ourselves. Information should be given before senior year, with more guidance counselors so students have the opportunity to maintain a relationship and receive proper help.