Donegal High School is an above average, public school located in Mount Joy, PA. It has 929 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 15 to 1. According to state test scores, 73% of students are at least proficient in math and 80% in reading.
Donegal High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- B92 Students
- A+92 Students
- A56 Students
- A-51 Students
- B47 Students
- B40 Students
- B38 Students
- A-34 Students
- B-33 Students
- C+33 Students
Living in the Area
- Cost of LivingB-
- Good for FamiliesB+
Median Household Income
Median Home Value
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.7 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.7 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.10 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.10 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.10 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.19 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.19 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.19 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.22 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.22 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.22 responses
Schools like Donegal High School
- B+Eastern York High School
- Eastern York School District, PA
- 124 reviews
- A-Conestoga Valley Senior High School
- Conestoga Valley School District, PA
- 288 reviews
- A-Dallastown Area Senior High School
- Dallastown Area School District, PA
- 362 reviews
- ACentral York High School
- Central York School District, PA
- 488 reviews
Donegal High School Reviews
The absolute, best part of Donegal High School is the performing arts club. I had several amazing teachers, but also some bad ones. Not that they were mean necessarily, just not effective teachers. Overall, I think I had a decent public high school experience at Donegal. I think the worst aspect is Donegal's lack of racial/ethnic diversity and the administration's (and majority of students) close minded and very conservative views, however it does seem to be getting more diverse each year. I also had mostly positive experiences with athletics. The one common complaint among many students (including myself) however is the field hockey team's social "dominance" and special privileges. They did win the state championship a couple years ago, but that doesn't necessarily warrant the obvious favoritism and prestige they constantly get from the administration and teachers.
Donegal is a fairly accepting school when it comes to diversity and differences. The population of non-white students is moderate, but not huge. Every student, however, is included by some person, group, or club. Donegal's options for gym are extremely limited--there are essentially no "special" gym classes, such as aerobics, team sports, lifting, etcetera. There is one exception, though. The students in the special education classes are in an adapted gym class with eleventh and twelfth graders. I got to the amazing opportunity to be in that gym class! That class was one of my first interactions with those students, but every one of the non-special education students cooperated very well with them. Ever since that class, I noticed how other students throughout the school were extremely nice and helpful to the special education students. Along with special education students, people in the LGBT community are welcomed with open arms (by most people). Like everything in life, some people are stubborn in their beliefs and will only accept traditional things. Our senior class president is a perfect example. She openly identifies as a lesbian. The seniors did not discriminate against her when voting. Other students who are open about their sexuality are often accepted and loved by all. The student body is very diverse and the differences between us do not hinder our relationships with each other.
I have gone to Donegal High School for all four years. The building of the school is very nice and well laid out. Everything is easy to find. The teachers are very kind and always willing to give extra help for those who need it. The school is kept very clean by a hardworking janitorial staff. The students aren't always the best in the world; there are fights about once a month and a lot of drama, although this may be true of all high schools. The school spirit at Donegal is unlike anything I have ever experienced. There is a near 100% participation during Spirit Week, and Green & White day (where everyone dresses in our school colors) is always the best day of the year for everyone. Overall, I have largely enjoyed my four years here and don't have much to say that is negative.