Discovery High School is an above average, public school located in Lawrenceville, GA. It has 2,127 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 19 to 1. According to state test scores, 28% of students are at least proficient in math and 31% in reading.
Discovery High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- B+66 Students
- A+61 Students
- C52 Students
- B38 Students
- A+30 Students
- B+30 Students
- C+20 Students
- B-20 Students
- A+17 Students
- A-16 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- We don't have enough responses to know if students agree that they feel safe at their school.Take our survey
- We don't have enough responses to know if students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.Take our survey
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- We don't have enough responses to know if students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.Take our survey
- We don't have enough responses to know if students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.Take our survey
- We don't have enough responses to know if students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.Take our survey
- We don't have enough responses to know if students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.Take our survey
- We don't have enough responses to know if students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.Take our survey
- We don't have enough responses to know if students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.Take our survey
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- We don't have enough responses to know if students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.Take our survey
- We don't have enough responses to know if students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.Take our survey
- We don't have enough responses to know if students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.Take our survey
Discovery High School Reviews
The Fine Arts Departments are establishing themselves on their own accords. The Band Department just recently went to Orlando last summer (per invitation of Universal Studios) to perform in a parade, and they've won countless trophies for performance. The Chorus Department has secured the first two Superior Ratings ever at the school, for LGPE Performance. The Theatre Department has produced a national placing acting (second place) in The August Wilson Monologue Competition. They have produced the only All-State performing Thespian from the county for this year's Opening Number in the 2018 Thespian Conference. The Dance Department produces performers that acquire scholarships from the likes of Kennesaw State University.Discover also has nationally recognized societies established in the school. It is time for the school to recognize what the Fine Arts Department brings to Discovery's Table.
Overall, Discovery High School is a good school despite some of its flaws. To begin with the lack of spirit from the students at school events such as football games, pep rallies, spirit week, etc has made my high school experience bittersweet. In addition, I feel that sometimes the students have no voice when it comes to stating how they feel and their opinions about certain issues like dress code. The last big issue is that my school has gotten a lot of attention from the news recently due to several fights that have occured. Despite the flaws from the very beginning, and going through quite a rocky road, I feel that over the years it's gotten better. The administration is doing everything in their power to keep the students safe at all times by implementing new security measures and new rules. It makes me very happy that my school is becoming a better place for students where they can feel safe and heard.
The school and it’s staff for the most part were great! There were a few teachers staff members that should have not been there, rude teachers, ignorant security, and a few terrible students. Sports were great; so were the academics.