Discovery High School
- Public, Charter
- LAKE ALFRED, FL
grade B minus
Overall Niche Grade
- Academicsgrade C+
- Diversitygrade A
- Teachersgrade C
- College Prepgrade B
- Clubs & Activitiesgrade C minus
- Health & Safetygrade B
- Administrationgrade C+
- Sportsgrade C+
- Foodgrade C+
- Resources & Facilitiesgrade C+
Discovery High School is a public, charter school located in LAKE ALFRED, FL. It has 842 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 20 to 1. According to state test scores, 30% of students are at least proficient in math and 45% in reading.
Discovery High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Percent Proficient - Reading
Percent Proficient - Math
Average Graduation Rate
No data available
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- grade A63 Students
- grade C minus39 Students
- grade A33 Students
- grade B31 Students
- grade A+31 Students
- grade A+30 Students
- grade C+30 Students
- grade A29 Students
- grade B26 Students
- grade B+17 Students
View Homes Near Discovery High School
Note: School map boundaries may have changed for the current school year so please contact your school district to verify school assignment for your child.
Living in the Area
Overall Niche Grade
- Cost of Livinggrade unavailable
- Good for Familiesgrade unavailable
- Housinggrade unavailable
Median Household Income
Median Home Value
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school. 3 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there. 3 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 9 responses
- Pep rallies33%
- Spirit Week33%
- Ethnicity week/ prom/ distress the test week/11%
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive. 3 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy. 3 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic. 3 responses
Average Teacher Salary
Teachers in First/Second Year
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons. 3 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students. 3 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom. 3 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
grade C minus
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
$9,612 / year
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in. 3 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need. 3 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations. 3 responses
Discovery High School Reviews
Rating 4.21 out of 5 19 reviews
Selecting a category below will take you to another page
DHS has a first period class called Focus, and in that class, students learn about time management, money management, setting goals, and more. This Focus class gives students insight on things beyond high school, keeping them thinking about the future. That way, once students graduate, they have an idea of what they will do with their lives. There is also an hour break called FLEX which is designed for students to eat and go to their teachers to catch up on assignments or for assistance. Flex a huge help to many students who struggle in certain classes. If DHS didn't have this, I would feel overwhelmed and discouraged with the difficulty of my schoolwork. FLEX is extremely beneficial and is definitely the best part of the day. Even if you don't on assignments, it gives their brains a break. The only downside to DHS that it is a new school with very little options for classes. So students with musical/artistic interests like me don't get to take a class like chorus or theater.
I love the way that students are able to connect with teachers very comfortably. Discovery High School academically is very strict, not in a bad way. The teachers want you to succeed in life, they will try and teach you in the way that you are able to learn. Not many schools teach their students as well as DHS does. The home of the spartans is a united family, nobody gets left behind in anything. This school is very drama free, rarely anything happens. It is a safe school ! This school cares about the students opinion from activities to the food they want served in school. It is very open-minded with ideas.
I am a freshman, almost becoming a sophomore. My first year experience was enticing and honestly positive. Firstly the teachers were so kind and know what they are doing and keeps things organized. I always loved learning new things and they inspired me in so many ways. The administration are strict but treats everybody equal. Since the school is still new and under construction it’s not the biggest or expandable but it’s a work in progress and it’s very clean and kept up with. They try to offer the best for us but it’s also hard when they are still new.