Dexter High School is a highly rated, public school located in Dexter, MI. It has 1,137 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 17 to 1. According to state test scores, 67% of students are at least proficient in math and 85% in reading.
Dexter High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A+240 Students
- A232 Students
- B+107 Students
- B+107 Students
- B-102 Students
- B64 Students
- B-58 Students
- A-42 Students
- B36 Students
- A-36 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.23 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.23 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 64 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.29 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.29 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.29 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.34 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.34 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.34 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.37 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.37 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.37 responses
Dexter High School Reviews
I really enjoyed the variety of classes available. Not only was there a great variety of courses, there were great teachers to teach the subjects. Also, the school offers IB and AP courses so there's a lot of opportunity to test your abilities. Athletics are a priority in Dexter. We have gotten a brand new football field, baseball fields, tennis courts, and three new practice fields for lacrosse/field hockey...etc all within the past year! There are also over 30 clubs and any student can start a new club. The drama club at DHS is amazing! I joined this club as a senior and fell in love with it. We have had many students go onto very prestigious schools prior to being in the DHS drama club. One student from my grade was accepted into the Pace University directors program in New York City which only accepts nine applicants. Unfortunately, a downside to the school is that there is little diversity. Overall, it is a great school! I would recommend the district to any new family!
I feel that the administration has done a great job of upholding academic excellence within the high school itself, as well as the district as a whole. I do feel that, quite often, certain activities, such as football, are given precedence over all others. The administration puts a low amount of effort into correcting this inequality, and often contributes to the issue by openly supporting one activity over another through unequal attention, funding, and school wide support between activities. Additionally, the diversity at DHS is poor; however, this is also because the town of Dexter as a whole exhibits poor diversity. In all, I think Dexter High School is a terrific gateway to college. Its courses are rigorous, its teachers, fair, its accommodations, appropriate, and its facilities, up-to-date.
Dexter High School has provided me with many great experiences and opportunities. For one, they have an endless selection of sports and clubs/activities so there is always something new to experience. Many of the teachers have positively impacted my life and my learning. However, their science and math department certainly lacks. I have not had great experiences with those teachers. Another thing I dislike about my school is the white privilege and prejudice that many of the students hold, as it is a predominately white community. There is a huge lack in diversity, and it causes some kids to lose perspective and understanding for the real world.