Overall Niche Grade
- College PrepB
- Clubs & ActivitiesB
- Health & SafetyB-
- Resources & FacilitiesC+
Detroit Lakes Senior High School is a highly rated, public school located in Detroit Lakes, MN. It has 871 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 16 to 1. According to state test scores, 67% of students are at least proficient in math and 71% in reading.
Detroit Lakes Senior High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- B+78 Students
- B+53 Students
- A49 Students
- B+46 Students
- B45 Students
- A-38 Students
- B+27 Students
- B+23 Students
- B-21 Students
- C+19 Students
Note: School map boundaries may have changed for the current school year so please contact your school district to verify school assignment for your child.
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.6 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.6 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 26 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.11 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.11 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.11 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.13 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.13 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.13 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.14 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.14 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.14 responses
Detroit Lakes Senior High School Reviews
As a senior i'd say my experience with Detroit Lakes has been tolerable, I mean come on I made it this far didn't I? It honestly has its ups and downs like any school, the teachers are it's strong point, they really show the effort they put in for their students, yes of course there are a few weak links in the teacher category, but in general most of the teachers I have had make it pretty easy to make a connection with them. One thing I dislike is the amount of rich entitlement from some of the students, but that's only a few, our school is actually pretty much free of judgment most of the time, and though the girls here like to gossip, physical bullying is usually zero to none. So final thoughts, I feel like it could be so much worse than it is so i'm in no place to complain.
Detroit Lakes High School is overall a very good school. I can personally attest that their math, science, and music (especially band) areas are some of the best I've heard of from people in other schools. Most students and teachers dont like the administration of the school, but I haven't seen them do anything too bad or misguided. Sports are very good there, but most of the funding seems to go towards football, leaving the other sports such as nordic skiing scraping by for new school owned skis and kick wax.
Detroit Lakes High School is like an average high school. My experience at the school was good. I passed my classes, and I got along with almost everyone. There were some instances with school officials not handling certain situations well. The school offers many different classes, and the support staff is very helpful. Everyone school district has things the need to work on, and I believe that Detroit Lakes High School is always working to make students want to attend.