Design Tech High School is a highly rated, public, charter school located in Redwood City, CA. It has 414 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 25 to 1. According to state test scores, 62% of students are at least proficient in math and 72% in reading.
Design Tech High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A+60 Students
- A+57 Students
- A56 Students
- A42 Students
- A39 Students
- A-33 Students
- A+30 Students
- A+30 Students
- A+27 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.7 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.7 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.7 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.7 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.7 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.7 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.7 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.7 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.7 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.7 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.7 responses
Design Tech High School Reviews
Design Tech High School is a fairly new public charter school. I started as a freshman back in 2015, now I am a senior and it has just been wonderful being apart of d.techs first years. The community here is so welcoming and creative. Classes spark innovation and you get the opportunity to learn design thinking which is a super helpful problem-solving process. This school was a really fun and interesting experience that had its ups and downs but changed me for the better overall. Go Dragons!
My experience here is like no other, and what I think makes it so special is the students. As it is a new school, we are constantly changing and trying new(and often bad) things out. The curriculum can be frustrating and confusing because everything is very flimsy. The grading is easy to cheat and isn't very solid. Despite all of these flaws Id never go to a different High School. A good portion of students here actually want to learn, and it's amazing the kinds of new ideas this school can cultivate. However, it's hard to get anything out of all of the amazing opportunities here without being committed to your education and self-regulated. Sure, you can go to this school and slide on by doing minimal work, but you'll find that most students here look down on that kind of mindset.
The school is largely what you make it. You need to pay attention before you commit whether you are OK with not having AP classes. It is one of the fundamental principals not to, based on studies that have shown APs are about memorization rather than learning. Most kids forget everything from AP classes within two months according to the research I heard. For more academic rigor, students are encouraged to take classes at local junior colleges. For a public school this place feels more like a private school but without as many entitled brats or sporty bro types.