Overall Niche Grade
- College PrepB+
- Clubs & ActivitiesB
- Health & SafetyC-
- Resources & FacilitiesB-
DeKalb High School is an above average, public school located in Dekalb, IL. It has 1,789 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 16 to 1. According to state test scores, 22% of students are at least proficient in math and 33% in reading.
DeKalb High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- B-293 Students
- B-193 Students
- A+141 Students
- B121 Students
- B+94 Students
- A+87 Students
- A+74 Students
- A70 Students
- A-66 Students
- A-60 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.17 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.17 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.23 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.23 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.23 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.34 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.34 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.34 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.37 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.37 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.37 responses
Schools like DeKalb High School
- C+Indian Creek High School
- Indian Creek Community Unit School District No. 425, IL
- 60 reviews
- BGenoa-Kingston High School
- Genoa Kingston Community Unit School District No. 424, IL
- 51 reviews
- CHiawatha High School
- Hiawatha Community Unit School District No. 426, IL
- 8 reviews
- A-Rochelle Township High School
- Rochelle Township High School District No. 212, IL
- 155 reviews
DeKalb High School Reviews
Dekalb High School is a school within a small town. The school itself is in good shape, and despite the fact that more than half of the school’s population is white — racism isn't common within the school. I honestly wish it was more diverse but other than that the opportunities available are exceptional. Bullying isn't a huge issue either, most people stand up for others and or themselves in a heartbeat. The school’s response to COVID was pretty good considering how unpredictable things were. All and all I would recommend students from all backgrounds to attend this school. The only thing keeping DeKalb High School from being it’s very best is not having enough diversity. Don’t get me wrong though, about 16-20 percent are hispanic and around 13 percent are African American, but just imagine how much better school would be with a more minority representatives.
My experience in Dekalb High School is great. This School offers many educational opportunities as well for extracurricular ones. For example they offer classes at the local college in our town, high levels of math and science, foreign languages, and many more. The extracurricular options that they offer are; multiple clubs, sports, and music. I am glad to be part of an amazing family. The school spirit will be something you will never see in another high school. The students and teachers have a great relationship. Teachers are compassionate and care for the education of their students. Now that I am a senior I am glad to say that I had spent my young adolescent years in Dekalb High School. And at the end of the day there is only one barb.
This school is pretty average for public schools. That said, the administration at the school basically has a no-punishment policy. Kids that get busted selling drugs or using them are suspended for a day or two usually. Furthermore, the admin does not really try to prepare students for college or even impress its importance on the student body. Overall, my experience would've been absolutely horrible if I didn't find friends to make it bearable.