Decorah High School is a highly rated, public school located in Decorah, IA. It has 571 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 15 to 1. According to state test scores, 95% of students are at least proficient in math and 92% in reading.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A97 Students
- A80 Students
- A74 Students
- B+70 Students
- B-27 Students
- A+26 Students
- A23 Students
- A+19 Students
- A18 Students
- B17 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.11 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.11 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 26 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.12 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.12 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.12 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.16 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.16 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.16 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.18 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.18 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.18 responses
Schools like Decorah High School
- B+South Winneshiek High School
- South Winneshiek Community School District, IA
- 47 reviews
- B-Waukon High School
- Allamakee Community School District, IA
- 87 reviews
- C+Crestwood High School
- Howard-Winneshiek Community School District, IA
- 71 reviews
- B-Mabel-Canton Secondary School
- Mabel-Canton Public School District, MN
- 9 reviews
Decorah High School Reviews
Overall I have been very pleased with my experience here at Decorah High school. The memories I've made and the new friends I've met will stick with me for the rest of my life. I truly feel comfortable and at home in this school and I'm glad to have the privilege of knowing a fair share of people throughout the school. Although I have seen it to be a struggle to find acceptance and openness in this school as well with a majority of the new kids moving here finding it rather difficult to be accepted into a friend group. Otherwise, I find the classes available to us students to be expansive and the teachers who teach these classes to truly care about your success. The sports and co-cirricular activities offered here are led by truly great individuals who strive for success and a positive representation of the school. The community that this school is in truly cares for the well-being of the students and supports the high school in vastly different ways.
My 4 years spent at this school were pretty good. I made memories, but the majority of those come from me making them happen. The school didn’t do a good job at having many traditions, and places way too much emphasis on sports. The administration does a terrible job at prepping for college or mentioning different routes to take after graduating. They also only ever talk about Luther college and how great it is, failing to mention the outrageous cost and it not being all that prestigious. They even brought in a panel of Luther college students to talk about college life to the senior class as if there were no better options. Some teachers are game changers, and others should be fired. I would like to see the school do a better job at finding resources for students because high school years are extremely formative to the students’ mental health. I’ll miss my classmates, but I often wish I had gotten to go to a different high school for an amazing experience.
The school has its high and low areas. Personally I believe about 60% of the teachers really care for there students and want them to succeed. The non-teacher facility have a few members that really care for the students, but as a sophomore I felt a little disconnect from them. I did enjoy the vast amount of options for me, academically, extra and co curricular, and sports. The overall atmosphere is somewhat toxic. I have found a small friend group but feel that other students are not as accepting.