Decatur High School is an above average, public school located in Decatur, TX. It has 977 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 16 to 1. According to state test scores, 85% of students are at least proficient in math and 69% in reading.
Decatur High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A+173 Students
- B+168 Students
- A-165 Students
- A+152 Students
- B+117 Students
- C+101 Students
- A93 Students
- B92 Students
- B85 Students
- A75 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.12 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.12 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 29 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.14 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.14 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.14 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.18 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.18 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.18 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.19 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.19 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.19 responses
Schools like Decatur High School
- BBridgeport High School
- Bridgeport Independent School District, TX
- 61 reviews
- BPonder High School
- Ponder Independent School District, TX
- 77 reviews
- BAlvord High School
- Alvord Independent School District, TX
- 45 reviews
- B-Boyd High School
- Boyd Independent School District, TX
- 81 reviews
Decatur High School Reviews
Decatur needs to learn to prioritize the academic needs of students! Instead of teaching us that playing a sport will get into college, they need to focus more on ACT and SAT prep opportunities. Also it would be nice to see more clubs and organizations to build for a college resume.
I enjoy being a student at Decatur High School, however I do not like the lack of college prep offered here. The majority of college prep is done in a class called Advancement Via Individual Determination or AVID. According to the teacher of AVID, this class is for average students to give them the help in academics and college. However, if you are not in this class, which requires an application, there are very few opportunities for college prep. As with many small-town-southern schools it seems that sports teams get the majority of funding, leaving other clubs poorly funded by the school. However some activities, such as the band, do multiple fundraisers throughout the school year. This year we received a new superintendent and a new principal and there have been some new academic changes, such as new AP classes and more advanced Spanish courses, and I hope that more changes are coming.
Decatur High School gave me the ability to become involved in a variety of clubs as well as playing sports. At my high school the teacher are amazing. They will come in before and stay after school to help kids who are struggling. The academics are tremendous, because Decatur High School offers the dual program, which gives me the ability to graduate college before I graduate High School