Decatur High School is an above average, public school located in Decatur, TX. It has 910 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 16 to 1. According to state test scores, 76% of students are at least proficient in math and 72% in reading.
Decatur High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- B+148 Students
- A-147 Students
- A+140 Students
- A+128 Students
- B+97 Students
- A81 Students
- B79 Students
- C+78 Students
- B72 Students
- A68 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.12 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.12 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 29 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.14 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.14 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.14 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.18 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.18 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.18 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.19 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.19 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.19 responses
Schools like Decatur High School
- BBridgeport High School
- Bridgeport Independent School District, TX
- 59 reviews
- B+Ponder High School
- Ponder Independent School District, TX
- 71 reviews
- B-Alvord High School
- Alvord Independent School District, TX
- 44 reviews
- B-Boyd High School
- Boyd Independent School District, TX
- 77 reviews
Decatur High School Reviews
Decatur needs to learn to prioritize the academic needs of students! Instead of teaching us that playing a sport will get into college, they need to focus more on ACT and SAT prep opportunities. Also it would be nice to see more clubs and organizations to build for a college resume.
I enjoy being a student at Decatur High School, however I do not like the lack of college prep offered here. The majority of college prep is done in a class called Advancement Via Individual Determination or AVID. According to the teacher of AVID, this class is for average students to give them the help in academics and college. However, if you are not in this class, which requires an application, there are very few opportunities for college prep. As with many small-town-southern schools it seems that sports teams get the majority of funding, leaving other clubs poorly funded by the school. However some activities, such as the band, do multiple fundraisers throughout the school year. This year we received a new superintendent and a new principal and there have been some new academic changes, such as new AP classes and more advanced Spanish courses, and I hope that more changes are coming.
Decatur High School was a very good high school to attend over my four years! I have had great teacher and have been lucky to attend this school. I fish on the fishing team here and I am very involved in Decatur's FFA program, which is very strong. There is many courses to choose from and the school is growing adding even more programs!