Decatur High School is an above average, public school located in Decatur, AL. It has 1,036 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 16 to 1. According to state test scores, 18% of students are at least proficient in math and 36% in reading.
Decatur High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A-93 Students
- A86 Students
- B79 Students
- A74 Students
- A-61 Students
- B57 Students
- B-47 Students
- B43 Students
- B41 Students
- A-34 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.6 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.6 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 21 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.6 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.6 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.6 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.10 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.10 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.10 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.10 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.10 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.10 responses
Decatur High School Reviews
Decatur High is a great school with a good faculty and staff! The school is very nice and spread out. The kids are mainly caucasian with some african americans and hispanics. The staff super cool and helpful and they are always looking or the best for the students. The teaching is okay, it could be better. The teachers just don't really try to help students understand material, there's more of a "if you don't get it, it's not my fault" attitude. The community around Decatur is great as well. Decatur High is overall a good school to attend.
Though some teachers are great, the funding for the arts are very limited, and the blatant use of slurs, lack of sexual education, harassment from both the students and, at times staff, and the general lack of safety makes me feel unsafe in my school on a daily basis. We’ve had about five shooting/bomb threats in the last two years, and they never seem to be handled carefully. The only reason I am not ranking my school as terrible is because I’ve had a few teachers that truly inspired me to work hard and push toward my goals.
The thing I love most at Decatur High with out a doubt is the Developmental wing! They are my absolute favorites ! I also admire the culinary department, the teachers are so sweet and actually care for their students and their needs, they do things like fundraisers to help the people who do not have as much money pay for their dues. If i could change something from school it would be the school food as well as some traditions, some things are parts of the school and I totally understand but some of these traditions offer better to certain people than others.