Daniel Hand High School is a top rated, public school located in Madison, CT. It has 1,153 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 12 to 1. According to state test scores, 73% of students are at least proficient in math and 92% in reading.
Daniel Hand High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A312 Students
- A+133 Students
- A+110 Students
- B96 Students
- A+89 Students
- A-86 Students
- A+83 Students
- A-79 Students
- A+75 Students
- A+72 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.25 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.25 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.29 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.29 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.29 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.34 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.34 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.34 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.37 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.37 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.37 responses
Schools like Daniel Hand High School
- A-Lyme-Old Lyme High School
- Regional School District No. 18, CT
- 48 reviews
- A-Valley Regional High School
- Regional School District No. 4, CT
- 107 reviews
- B+Westbrook High School
- Westbrook School District, CT
- 53 reviews
- A-Haddam-Killingworth High School
- Regional School District No. 17, CT
- 135 reviews
Daniel Hand High School Reviews
Daniel Hand is as competitive as it comes when talking about public schools. The fantastic faculty is both engaged and qualified, most making significant connections with the students that in turn, lead to greater academic success. Athletics are highly emphasized. The students themselves are at times cutthroat and dangerously competitive, as expectations towards the college application process looms over most. Diversity cannot be found at Daniel Hand, with most students coming from caucasian backgrounds. "Madison bubble" can be used to describe the atmosphere within the school, however, the majority of students are politically and socially aware.
I moved to Madison during my junior year of high school, going into Daniel Hand High School. The students were very friendly and open, the school is updated and new, and I was easily welcomed by teachers. Downsides would be guidance counselors, which everyone complains how unhelpful they are, and a confusion of schedule. When there are pep rallies, half days, and events happening during the school year, it is not clear as to when and what the schedule is.
My experience at Daniel Hand has been overall a good time. There is a wide variety of class options and I truly believe that anyone can find something they like here. There is also a range of difficulty levels for classes. It's very accommodating for students who struggle academically as well as those who want a rigorous course load. Not only does it offer many options for classes, but Hand also has numerous clubs that can fit anyone's interests. Whether someone has an artistic or musical talent, wants to volunteer in the community, or even just wants to make some friends in a social club, there is a club for everyone! There are lots of music groups, art clubs, and even a video game club. But if that's not enough, you can join one of the many sports teams. At Hand, students take pride in athletics and many times are successful in winning regional or even state level competitions. Clearly, Daniel Hand has something for everyone and I am glad to have spent my high school years there.