Overall Niche Grade
- Academicsgrade A
- Diversitygrade C+
- Teachersgrade A
- College Prepgrade A
- Clubs & Activitiesgrade A+
- Health & Safetygrade A+
- Administrationgrade A
- Sportsgrade A+
- Foodgrade A+
- Resources & Facilitiesgrade A
Daniel Hand High School is a top rated, public school located in Madison, CT. It has 1,068 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 13 to 1. According to state test scores, 71% of students are at least proficient in math and 93% in reading.
Daniel Hand High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- grade A350 Students
- grade A+157 Students
- grade A+129 Students
- grade B101 Students
- grade A+100 Students
- grade A99 Students
- grade B94 Students
- grade A+93 Students
- grade A minus92 Students
- grade A+91 Students
Living in the Area
Overall Niche Grade
- Cost of Livinggrade C
- Good for Familiesgrade A+
- Housinggrade B
Median Household Income
Median Home Value
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school. 25 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there. 25 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 43 responses
- Senior Activities28%
- Football games23%
- Homeroom news23%
- Tiger talk on fridays16%
- Pep rallies5%
- Pep rallies2%
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive. 29 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy. 29 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic. 29 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons. 34 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students. 34 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom. 34 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
$21,812 / year
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in. 37 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need. 37 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations. 37 responses
Schools like Daniel Hand High School
- grade ALyme-Old Lyme High School
- Regional School District No. 18, CT
- Rating 3.91 out of 5 54 reviews
- grade A minusValley Regional High School
- Regional School District No. 4, CT
- Rating 3.96 out of 5 122 reviews
- grade B+Westbrook High School
- Westbrook School District, CT
- Rating 3.48 out of 5 56 reviews
- grade A minusHaddam-Killingworth High School
- Regional School District No. 17, CT
- Rating 3.83 out of 5 150 reviews
Daniel Hand High School Reviews
Rating 3.87 out of 5 230 reviews
Selecting a category below will take you to another page
While the school prides itself on pushing students with difficult courses and high expectations for the students bodies it's an extremely hard environment to feel comfortable and confident while constantly competing with other students. The school, while also priding itself in its course of action on preparing all students for the real world no matter who they are is abysmal in diversity and holding students accountable for microaggressions against the small portion of the Black community in our school.
Daniel Hand is as competitive as it comes when talking about public schools. The fantastic faculty is both engaged and qualified, most making significant connections with the students that in turn, lead to greater academic success. Athletics are highly emphasized. The students themselves are at times cutthroat and dangerously competitive, as expectations towards the college application process looms over most. Diversity cannot be found at Daniel Hand, with most students coming from caucasian backgrounds. "Madison bubble" can be used to describe the atmosphere within the school, however, the majority of students are politically and socially aware.
I appreciate the diversity of programs that they offer and the high quality of education to prepare you for college. They do have some very good teachers, however the math department is their weakest . They have a wide variety of clubs, excellent sports, and music programs. The school itself is pretty small, and the cafeteria and auditorium is combined which is a downside. Also our gym is too small to host any games so we have to use the neighboring middle school gym. Overall I had a pretty decent experience, with the exception of a very heavy workload junior, and even senior year.